Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic car insurance help!

Options
  • 15-04-2018 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, I'm 21 years old and recently got insured on a 2010 Ford Fiesta with AXA Drivesafe. I found a 1991 Toyota Corolla for sale today after searching for the past two years and I was wondering how I'd go about owning a 27 year old car. I realise you can't get a classic insurance policy unless you're over 25 but I was thinking I could have one of my parents get insured on it as they both have full licences and are insured on a car each and I could leave it in storage for the next 3-4 years. Would this work out for me or would the insurance company think something was up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Using a person on the policy that won't drive the car is "fronting" and not allowed.
    But if car is just stored and not driven I'm not sure on the regulations.

A 1991 Corolla isn't a "classic" imo but I suppose that is up for debate :)
    Is the reason you buy that car that you want a cheaper insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I was thinking I could have one of my parents get insured on it as they both have full licences and are insured on a car each and I could leave it in storage for the next 3-4 years.

If you're going to leave it in storage anyways why not just put it in one of your parents name so that everything is definitely above board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If it's going to be in storage why do you need insurance on It?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

If it's going to be in storage why do you need insurance on It?

What exactly are the requirements so?
    I've a second car I don't currently drive (2 seater '97) I'd like drive occasionally again if It was eligible for classic insurance.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

ozmo wrote: »
    What exactly are the requirements so?
    I've a second car I don't currently drive (2 seater '97) I'd like drive occasionally again if It was eligible for classic insurance.

It varies, but the current requirements for most companies seem to be that the car needs to be over 20 years, the driver over 25 years and they tend not to like jap cars.
    Some classic policies require a daily driver, while others don't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement