Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London to Amsterdam in 3h 41m by Eurostar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Given there isn't a return leg on that route as of yet, I would say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

thomasj wrote: »
    Given there isn't a return leg on that route as of yet, I would say no.

Not Direct return, one returns via Brussels

Annoyingly, the EuroStar site will not let one book a return ticket on this service, but the DB site will, offering Thalys service to Brussels, and Eurostar onwards, but it takes longer that the outward service at 4h 46m

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Not Direct return, one returns via Brussels

Annoyingly, the EuroStar site will not let one book a return ticket on this service, but the DB site will, offering Thalys service to Brussels, and Eurostar onwards, but it takes longer that the outward service at 4h 46m

DB is worth a go for fares. Got a sweet deal from them for a first class ticket from Berlin to London via Brussels some years ago. So worth it and still got the complementary meal and wine on the Eurostar. As the Seat 61 site says, Ryanair eat my shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dislike how your baggage is right next to the doors; not great with multiple stops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What is the reason for the lack of a single train return?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

L1011 wrote: »
    What is the reason for the lack of a single train return?

No security infrastructure at Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sdanseo wrote: »
    No security infrastructure at Amsterdam.

Immigration more specifically, hence needing to change at Brussels on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

hence needing to change at Brussels on the way back.

Does the train roll back to Brussels empty, while passengers get another train? Or do you get on a Eurostar in Amsterdam, disembark in Brussels, do security and then re-embark?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Train goes back as a domestic service under Thalys to Brussels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Does look pretty comfy (if you are in the right class). Nice seeing the Dutch double-deck trains again too (I lived there for a few years and spent their launch day going up and down the line with a few friends)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

What a distance is it doing ? It says 180mph but I presume that's top speed on limited distance only.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Grandeeod wrote: »

Enjoyed that. Looks a high quality service.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

zom wrote: »
    What a distance is it doing ? It says 180mph but I presume that's top speed on limited distance only.

Multiple sections of the track are 300km/h running, which is 185mph roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

L1011 wrote: »
    Multiple sections of the track are 300km/h running, which is 185mph roughly.

Yes but what is overall distance / average speed for that 3h41m journey?

Advertisement