Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoM analysing LC / JC results

Options
  • 15-04-2018 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Is it commonplace in schools that the BoM analyses its school's state exam results versus the national averages? Or is it seen as part of the Principal's day to day duties? This is apart from each individual teacher and subject dept obviously analysing their results. I would just like to get views from what happens in other schools.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Was in a DEIS school where groups of teachers were in charge of different strategies over the year - numeracy, literacy, school online presence, community links etc and one of the groups was in charge of analyzing the Leaving Cert results, comparing them to the national averages and making a report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm in a DEIS school. Exam attainment is one of the categories required in a DEIS action plan. Each subject department analyses their results, with comparison to the national average, and compiles a report with targets for improvement and strategies on how to achieve this. There's a DEIS Attainment committee (all staff have to be part of a DEIS committee) that then analyses all the subject reports and looks at whole school improvement targets and strategies. And since the DEIS plan is supposed to be the SSE plan, the BOM look at every area, including attainment, and discuss and make recommendations on the plan before signing off on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I'm in a voluntary secondary. The principal does this analysis every year , then puts up abslysis in staff room and shows analysis to BOM. Each subject department then does their own using the tool on the PDST website and reflect in that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not quite the same , seeing as I'm in primary, but we do this with the standardised tests in English, Maths and Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ASISEEIT

Would not panic over it. So long as its not individual teacher vs individual teacher its fair enough.
    Though always a good idea to keep records of homework not done etc etc. Thus if you ever get a principal acting as if he/she expects better you can hit back with facts. ie times you put them on detention

However from what you said this is just a general thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement