Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping in Normandy

Options
  • 14-04-2018 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

We're thinking of ferrying on the V-Strom to Cherbourg and camping in Normandy and some point this summer but don't know where to start looking for accommodation or tent pitches.

Any recommendations?

Ideally prefer not to have to buy a tent and strap it to the bike, but might do if necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can pick up cheap hotels for little more than a campsite which provides accommodation. If going the hotel route avoid F1's as they don't have a shower or toilet in the room. Most campsites with accommodation will be busy during the summer months with families so might not have much room or have minimum booking lengths.

Camping with a tent involves a lot of gear which will make the touring part of the trip a pain. Don't forget along with the tent you'll need sleeping bags, ground mats, seating etc. And if it's 2 on a bike that's a lot of extra weight and bulk to be carrying

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

My OH and i did this back in 2014, only not the camping, when we knew what area we were heading to we would look up hotel and book from the internet, We went for 10 days altogether also taking in Luxembourg, Belgium and Germany, i think it would of been a bit much to have camping gear on bike as well as 2 of us on the 1 bike, Average cost each night worked out about E75 Another thing to remember about the Normandy Area is the weather can be hit or miss,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Agree 100% with Blackbird. Have been going to France for many years on the motorcycle with my OH. Usually use B B hotels. Secure parking and rooms with shower and toilet. Link http://www.hotel-bb.com/en/home.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Budget hotel chains have their uses and are good value esp. for two people. But they're often in a retail park or industrial estate out on the by-pass. Breakfast is crap and the dinner option is a "Boeuf-Eater" down the road.
    But a French campsite is likely to be in a nice location with most mod-cons available on site or nearby. The type of location that will tempt you stay a few nights.
    Depends what kind of holiday you like.

Two-up with camping gear? I couldn't pack that light. But an option could be camp-sites that have tents or cabins to hire. I've seen many of them but it was further south.
    Archie's Camping is comprehensive source of camp-site gps locations.

Alternatively consider French youth hostels. Well maintained, good locations - and importantly private rooms available.
    http://www.fuaj.org/en/ But not so many in Normandie.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Been on two bike camping trips, with other half 2 up on one bike both end of season Aug. Tent fit into side luggage.

We moved sites almost everyday and stayed in some weird and beautiful places in the middle of nowhere, booked nothing just drove all day on whatever roads and pulled up at campsites before 18:00 (if possible) and asked for a spot.

Blackbird with full hard luggage, tank bag on tank and tank bag on the topbox.
    one small sleeping mat for the misses, 2 sleeping bags some light changes of cloths and other random stuff, cooked everynight. It's a heavy setup so good pillion required.

If you are only doing one region, you could find 1 or even two campsites and just base yourself there so your gear would be off the bike on your day trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

stayed here in Bayeux its basic but not expensive. there will be no worry for finding a campsite where ever you go

Advertisement