Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrape a pass in Higher Level Maths

Options
  • 14-04-2018 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello, as ye probably know, leaving cert is soon and I haven't been able to find an answer to this question. What topics, or even better, Chapters, would I need to know very well to get a H7(30%-40%) on the Higher Level exam? And I just mean scrape a pass, because with everything going on I don't have time to learn everything. Thank you in advance, eat fruit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

30%-39% isn't really a pass because it won't be accepted by colleges. I got a H5 and what I did was answer the like 5 most recent papers in full (both 1 and 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Notorious Nobody

hasdanta wrote: »
    30%-39% isn't really a pass because it won't be accepted by colleges. I got a H5 and what I did was answer the like 5 most recent papers in full (both 1 and 2).

The colleges I'm applying for require a 7 or higher

dazza216 wrote: »
    Well first of all what do you know so far?

I posted this like a few months ago so I know more. I've paper 1 on Friday and paper 2 on Monday. I'm not badly sorted for paper 2 but trying to cram paper one at the moment. I don't know Financial maths or Methods of Proof. Everything else I kind of know.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lildaisy

Most people find paper 1 the easiest. make sure you have a good grasp of basic algebra that is required in these questions.

With paper two i find it easy for myself to panic, remember that most things on paper 2 require a formula. if you find yourself not being able to answer it, flick through the log tables till you find something you recognize to do with that chapter.

some predictions are line, circle, bernoulli , statistics (z score 95% intervals), know all 8 trig identities and proofs 11 12 and 13. (this is all p2 btw)

If maths is a weak point for you and you learn better with words get those proofs down tbh.

Also go over the proof of de moivres theorem , and inequalities with fractions.

You need to get at least 30% in each paper and im sure you'll do fine. Remember not to panic because that'll mess you up the most.

I like to remember that maths requires A LOT of manipulation. Keep that in mind. If you cant answer something does that mean it need to be manipulated?

Try your best! good luck!!

lildaisy wrote: »
    Most people find paper 1 the easiest. make sure you have a good grasp of basic algebra that is required in these questions.

With paper two i find it easy for myself to panic, remember that most things on paper 2 require a formula. if you find yourself not being able to answer it, flick through the log tables till you find something you recognize to do with that chapter.

some predictions are line, circle, bernoulli , statistics (z score 95% intervals), know all 8 trig identities and proofs 11 12 and 13. (this is all p2 btw)

If maths is a weak point for you and you learn better with words get those proofs down tbh.

Also go over the proof of de moivres theorem , and inequalities with fractions.

You need to get at least 30% in each paper and im sure you'll do fine. Remember not to panic because that'll mess you up the most.

I like to remember that maths requires A LOT of manipulation. Keep that in mind. If you cant answer something does that mean it need to be manipulated?

Try your best! good luck!!

Thanks a bunch! :) I'll have to cram statistics this weekend along with the constructions and de moivre. I'm doing past papers and marking myself and learning what I did wrong after then doing a different past paper. Thank you I'll post how I get on :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 lildaisy

Thanks a bunch! :) I'll have to cram statistics this weekend along with the constructions and de moivre. I'm doing past papers and marking myself and learning what I did wrong after then doing a different past paper. Thank you I'll post how I get on :P

No problem! all of us LC's are bricking it but sure we'll be grand lmao

Advertisement