Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Lock Advice

Options
  • 14-04-2018 11:26am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

6fd61786360cb12689bd031d09aeda26.jpg

I'm looking for a smart lock at the moment that will allow guest access.

From what I've been reading the August Smart locks seem to be about the best out there.

I've a slight problem that my interior lock is located a lot closer together than the image I have copied above. I don't think there will enough space between them to fit the August lock.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best locks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Afaik smart locks can only lock the door so wouldn't work for giving guest access

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Afaik smart locks can only lock the door so wouldn't work for giving guest access

In think it depends on the lock and some allow you to give out guest codes / access. The integrations to other systems like Google home are normally only report status and maybe lock.

Unfortunately I've not looked into it enough to know the best ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

I find the wirecutter a great site for doing initial research 
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-smart-lock/
    Remember though it is for the American market and sometimes what it recommends isn't available over here or isn't suitable (like smart switches). The one I am keeping an eye on is
    https://shop.pin-genie.com/
    They have a new range of products apparently being built as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A word of warning. I looked into this, a lot of the smart locks mentioned on various websites are for the US market and typically won't work with Irish/EU locks, which are often different from the US!

There are some and I'll link to them later, but again this seems to be an immature market in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Like bk said it seems a lot of US doors just have simple deadbolts and most of the locks seem to target that.
    A lot of newer doors here seem to have multipoint locks which require you to push the handle up first to engage the additional locks.

Yale have this one for multipoint doors Conexis-L1
    But I believe they charge for extra virtual keys beyond 3 and you still have to push the handle up yourself.

Danalock is another one similar to the august, but with support for eurocylinder locks.
    It has airbnb integration so it can definitely handle guests.
    But again it can't autolock a multipoint lock.

Still seems to be early days for these outside the US.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

dloob wrote: »
    Like bk said it seems a lot of US doors just have simple deadbolts and most of the locks seem to target that.
    A lot of newer doors here seem to have multipoint locks which require you to push the handle up first to engage the additional locks.

Yale have this one for multipoint doors Conexis-L1
    But I believe they charge for extra virtual keys beyond 3 and you still have to push the handle up yourself.

Danalock is another one similar to the august, but with support for eurocylinder locks.
    It has airbnb integration so it can definitely handle guests.
    But again it can't autolock a multipoint lock.

Still seems to be early days for these outside the US.

Mine is a twist and a handle as part of the one mechanism.

Is looks like this to me - (could be wrong!)
    Mortice-lock.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Shane732 wrote: »
    Mine is a twist and a handle as part of the one mechanism.

Is looks like this to me - (could be wrong!)
    Mortice-lock.jpg

It looks like it could be euro cylinder at least.
    Lock cylinder like these https://www.ie.screwfix.com/ironmongery-security/door-locks-bolts/euro-cylinders
    I don't think august will work with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayGunner

Hi guys,

Anyone have any updates or suggestions on this?

Have been looking at the August and the Kwitset locks as options but I'm definitely interested in getting one for new door

Advertisement