Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black wires

Options
  • 14-04-2018 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

When installing an extractor fan in the bathroom the live and the neutral from the house needed to be connected up two black wires inside the extractor fan.i was told it doesn't matter which one connects to live and which one connects to neutral.
    Can someone explain to me why this is?and why doesnt the extractor fan have live and neutral wires?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

With all due respect this is not something that you should be tackling yourself if you feel the need to ask these sort of questions.
    Enough preaching.

To answer your question:
    The electrical current flows from the ESB transformer on the “phase” (or live) cable and returns to the transformer on the neutral. The fan will rotate regardless of which way the current flows through it, therefore like many devices it can be connected either way. So the fan does have “live” and “neutral” wires, it just doesn't matter which is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

With all due respect i didn't say i was installing it.i opened the box the fan came in and noticed two black wires : ) someone else is installing it.

But thank you for your reply.it answered my question perfectly.

Advertisement