Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental Health

Options
  • 13-04-2018 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can anybody give me advice on where to go to get advice on how to deal with a highly suicidal person in Limerick City? I don't think that I am the best person to be dealing with this. Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Leonita

Bump really urgent anybody?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Ring Pieta House national suicide line 1800 247247

They will advise what to do. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hospital asap, if they are hostile to idea see if there is family available to talk to them, if no other route the gardai. Be careful, mind yourself..

The family are totally unsupportive. Last thing needed is garda involvement because things could get toxic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Needs must in certain cases, if they would talk to pieta/samaritans they have protocol on garda intervention A&E if at all possible

• Advertisement

But why garda intervention? This is totally new to me. She hasn't committed any crimes so why get guards involved?

Ive tried calling her and she said she has taken 20 sleeping tablets I'm going to go around there now and see if I can do anything. Any advice apart from calling guards and ems? I'm really worried

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

leo78 wrote: »
    Ive tried calling her and she said she has taken 20 sleeping tablets I'm going to go around there now and see if I can do anything. Any advice apart from calling guards and ems? I'm really worried

Call 999, don't take the chance.

Because if the person is a danger to themselves professionals need to help, not being harsh, been in the position myself.. Call samaritans yourself for advice perhaps?

If ems or guards turn up she is going to become violent. Should I just take her to ane or call an out of hours doc? She is scared of authorities for some reason. Sorry to bother you all and thanks for advice

• Advertisement

If she won't go to hospital why would she go to doc? Go sit with her if you want but i feel you'll have to call paramedics anyway, i hope you both get on ok

She is starting to cut herself upstairs after taking a huge amount of tablets. I'm at my wits end as to what to do. The last thing I want is a scene on the doorstep. Thanks everybody for your help so far.

Ok there is no option but ambulance now. Call 999. Out of options, this is what the they are trained for. Call 999.

She just admitted that one of the crisis nurses is really nasty and if she meets her she will definitely do something drastic

Call an ambulance without delay. It's unfortunate that she is adverse to them and likely to become violent but their training prepares them for such situations. Do not delay. Call an ambulance.

shes unresponsive maybe I will call shanondoc before the drama starts

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Call an ambulance asap, you do not need to deal with this alone. You say she may do something drastic, but she is already doing something drastic and will require medical intervention asap.

Ambulance, CANNOT stress that enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Stop posting on boards and dial 999.

leo78 wrote:
    before the drama starts

She has taken an overdose, what are you waiting for?

• Advertisement

leo78 wrote:
    The last thing I want is a scene on the doorstep

Surely the last thing you want is for her suicide attempt to lead to her death?

Sorry to be so blunt but she is seriously at risk of dying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

leo78 wrote: »
    She just admitted that one of the crisis nurses is really nasty and if she meets her she will definitely do something drastic

We've all seen that carry on before :

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

For future reference, call 999 or 112. I'm finding it hard to not see this as a troll. If some is in danger, you do something. Quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement