Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New boiler power supply

Options
  • 13-04-2018 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Have to change my boiler and turns out I need a permanent live to it.. Can I take a second live from the isolator as the permanent live? So L N & E in to the isolator and L L N & E out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

roby1 wrote: »
    Have to change my boiler and turns out I need a permanent live to it.. Can I take a second live from the isolator as the permanent live? So L N & E in to the isolator and L L N & E out?
    yes, but bear in mind if you change cable size, you need a fuse.
    Consider putting in one of the wiring centres (just multiple terminal blocks in a covered junction box) powered by a fused spur outlet, and if you're adding controls in future, it will make things a doddle.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The way I normally do it (back in the day) is wire in this order:
    MCB --> spur outlet --> isolator --> timeclock --> (various valves etc...) -->boiler

That way a 2 pole isolator will isolate both the switched feed and the permanent feed. Also this main heating isolator will safely isolate all heating controls as well as the boiler supply. In addition everything is fed from the fuse in the spur outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

I am assuming it is an external oil boiler:

That permanent feed is required for the frost stat, you should have a permanent feed going to the new boiler, if it is possible run a new 4 core cable, the permanent feed still requires a means of isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Different gas boiler manufacturers have different electrical requirements. All require permant live, then either a switched live or an auxiliary (volt free) switching. Your Registered Gas Installer should know which it is and be able to do it.
    Remember, it is illegal for anyone to carry out any works, including electrical connections on a Gas Appliance, or, to install any Gas Appliance, unless they are a Registered Gas Installer,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

tweek84 wrote: »
    I am assuming it is an external oil boiler:

That permanent feed is required for the frost stat, you should have a permanent feed going to the new boiler, if it is possible run a new 4 core cable, the permanent feed still requires a means of isolation.

Permanent feed is also required on all new gas boilers to carry out pre and post firing functions.
    Some have built in frost stats as well, but its not the main reason for having perm live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Permanent feed is also required on all new gas boilers to carry out pre and post firing functions.
    Some have built in frost stats as well, but its not the main reason for having perm live.

Cheers i didn't know that, i have very little experience with gas (mainly oil boilers) and i intend to keep it that way it is a pity others don't stick to the same rule when it comes to electricity.

Advertisement