Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC to 13A plug

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

mickeyk wrote: »
    http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/0428-1g-0-5m/iec-c14-plug-to-13a-socket-black/dp/PL15014?st=IEC%20c14%20to%2013a

Hi all, does anybody know where I can pick up one of the above in a bricks and mortar shop? Can’t find an online retailer here and delivery charges are £20 from uk sites

What do you want to do with this?

Do you have a lead with the IEC connector?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

What do you want to do with this?

Do you have a lead with the IEC connector?

Basically there is an iec power lead hanging down from the ceiling in an upstairs bedroom, it was plugged in to a telly on the wall. The telly is kaput and the new one does not use IEC so I need a converter. There is no socket on the bedroom wall, the cable runs up to the attic and it looks like it was done this way when the house was built with no thought of what might happen if the telly ever has to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

My next step would be to go up to attic and find out what this is actually wired into. There might well be a socket up there. At the least there should be a fused spur. At worst it might be wired into lighting (bad).

You might as well sort this out properly while you are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 davemc1987

If I understand the problem correctly,

Go into attic and inspect how it is wired from that side.

Once you understand and have isolated the power to that area you could cut off the C14 connector in the bedroom side and just fit a socket and plug new tv into it.

Not a good solution but a solution and please consider what antoinolachtnai suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I had already gone up to the attic but can’t find anything, it’s buried under insulation and attic flooring, I pulled it up where I thought it might be but I can’t find a thing.

This is hard to explain without seeing it but the power could be coming from a socket on the bedroom wall as well, the previous owner put in a lot of built in furniture in to the house, that whole wall is covered with wardrobes and shelving and without pulling it apart there is no way to know where the power originates.

I have a few other small jobs to do as well so I think I will get a sparky to look at it and see what he thinks. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Finding the source of the power would be the best plan, if for no other reason than the safety implications.

In the short term, there are a couple of options for getting the connection you were looking at.

Farnell have an Irish Site, and the delivery on that site is €6.00, or the other suggestion would be if Farnell deliver free to UK, then set up a Parcel Motel account and get it delivered through their service, which is under €4.00.

The other option would be to get an IEC cable from a computer seller site or similar, and get a trailing extension socket fitted to it and use that for now.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement