Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational requirements questions

Options
  • 12-04-2018 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello there , I've done a good bit of research on the guards but theres a couple of points that i just want to know a little more about , So First of all the education requirements :

Applicants must have obtained

(a) an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects at ordinary level*, or

(b) a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ), or

Does this mean that if i fail my leaving cert (honestly think im gonna fail lol) , but get a good mark for a PLC , will this be good enough? Or if i get a college degree like a level 7 or level 8 bachelor , will they look at that and ignore the leaving cert?

Second Question:
    (d) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages; one of which must be Irish or English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades in an Irish Leaving Certificate or for English or Irish through such assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service;

How do you prove proficiency? do you just have to speak two languages? or did you have to pass them in the Leaving cert?

Any help would be appreciated , Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Honestly, put the head down and get the grades now, if you struggling on a subject, put extra into that.

It's not worth the messing around with getting PLC courses and then you have to do an Irish assessment.

Just put the effort into your LC now and avoid the hassle if you want to go for AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MasterLeia

TallGlass wrote: »
    Honestly, put the head down and get the grades now, if you struggling on a subject, put extra into that.

It's not worth the messing around with getting PLC courses and then you have to do an Irish assessment.

Just put the effort into your LC now and avoid the hassle if you want to go for AGS.

I am trying to now but I still doubt myself, but honestly let's say I did get a good result and got a level 8 degree, will the guards look over my Leaving Cert because I have a level 8 degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

MasterLeia wrote: »
    Hello there , I've done a good bit of research on the guards but theres a couple of points that i just want to know a little more about , So First of all the education requirements :

Applicants must have obtained

(a) an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects at ordinary level*, or

(b) a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ), or

Does this mean that if i fail my leaving cert (honestly think im gonna fail lol) , but get a good mark for a PLC , will this be good enough? Or if i get a college degree like a level 7 or level 8 bachelor , will they look at that and ignore the leaving cert?

Second Question:
    (d) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages; one of which must be Irish or English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades in an Irish Leaving Certificate or for English or Irish through such assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service;

How do you prove proficiency? do you just have to speak two languages? or did you have to pass them in the Leaving cert?

Any help would be appreciated , Cheers!

But would you not have to go in to a Level 8 degree as a mature student/or through a PLC, if you fail your LC? It'd be quicker to repeat.

Honestly, if you knuckle down between now and June you will surprise yourself. You just need 5 passes at ordinary level. YOU. CAN. DO. IT.

The second language would have to be an LC pass or a degree.

The other thing - Level 5 QQIs are A LOT of work. You have to do eight modules and there is at least 1-2 essays+ assessment/journal/exam per module and some places spread the course out over a year.

Head down and study really is the best option. Lots of students fail their mocks, I wouldn't worry about that. And with a bit of work people can usually improve their marks by a minimum of 20% between mocks and LC.

Can you sit with a teacher and say you are struggling, that you just need 5 passes at ordinary level, you don't have time to cover the whole course but what areas/exam qs can you focus on to help you get over the line.

Hold steady. Keep calm. Do your best. You will surprise yourself. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

MasterLeia wrote: »
    I am trying to now but I still doubt myself, but honestly let's say I did get a good result and got a level 8 degree, will the guards look over my Leaving Cert because I have a level 8 degree?

No. You still need to have the basic requirements and the Irish/English/Other (you need to pass two in any order) language is a requirement which ever way you look at it.

If you do get a level 8 you'll go up on the internal pay-scales once you have 2 years service under your belt.

A D3 isn't the hardest to get, looking back on it, I should have put even a little effort into the Irish/Maths would have gotten over the line. If your sure your going to pass something, give that time to study what your lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MasterLeia

TallGlass wrote: »
    No. You still need to have the basic requirements and the Irish/English/Other (you need to pass two in any order) language is a requirement which ever way you look at it.

If you do get a level 8 you'll go up on the internal pay-scales once you have 2 years service under your belt.

A D3 isn't the hardest to get, looking back on it, I should have put even a little effort into the Irish/Maths would have gotten over the line. If your sure your going to pass something, give that time to study what your lacking.

Ah i see , I appreciate all the information dude , thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement