Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s Paramedics

Options
  • 12-04-2018 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭

i can’t watch this programme anymore!!!! It’s so heavily scripted with medical jargon it’s boiling me brain - not because I don’t understand the terms - I work with the terms and jargon every day - but for others who don’t it’s ridiculous- the paramedics are wooden and it’s plain to see them reading a script #disappointment

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Do you mean the show on TV3? I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

Do you mean the show on TV3? I like it.

Yeh..............I want to like it but I can’t even watch it anymore & I love stuff like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

skearnsot wrote: »
    i can’t watch this programme anymore!!!! It’s so heavily scripted with medical jargon it’s boiling me brain - not because I don’t understand the terms - I work with the terms and jargon every day - but for others who don’t it’s ridiculous- the paramedics are wooden and it’s plain to see them reading a script #disappointment

What part do you find wooden and scripted?.

If its when the paramedics are speaking to the camera, well they're not professional actors or TV presenters.

All I can say is that my brother is on the show every week, and he comes across on TV as he does in real life, except when he's talking to the camera (it would be a bit weird if he was talking to me like that across a kitchen counter).

The rest can't really be scripted, like car crashes, heart attacks, roadside births etc (unless you know otherwise).

As regards medical jargon, I'm not sure how medics could avoid using medical jargon on a medical show.

What sounds better 'The patient had a bilateral femur fracture and pain relief was given', or 'the poor lad broke both his legs, 'sure he was in bits so he was so we gave him/her something for the pain'?.

I'm a soldier, and if you were to ask me to narrate my work at home or oversea's it would be impossible for me to do it without using military jargon, I'd sound idiotic and unprofessional. I'd imagine it might be the same for any profession.

I like these fly on the wall shows, and this one is as good as any I've seen. I like it, esp when Rescue 112 are up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think it's a very good series. Shows the difficult decisions, empathy and teamwork required. Glad to see Rescue 116 acknowledged - you could see how it had affected them too. Didn't know 112 keeps details of the calls from the pilots, particularly if it's a child. Good procedure, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think it's a very good series. Shows the difficult decisions, empathy and teamwork required. Glad to see Rescue 116 acknowledged - you could see how it had affected them too. Didn't know 112 keeps details of the calls from the pilots, particularly if it's a child. Good procedure, though.

I knew one of the crew from 116, we served together when he was a member of the DF.

I actually never spoke to my brother about 116, but I know from bitter experience what its like to lose a comrade/workmate in the line of duty and it digs very deep.

My brother is also part of a medical team who are involved in motorcycle road racing (I'm being deliberately vague about a lot of details). And I was there when a member of their team was killed a few years back, it was a high profile death.

As a member of the DF, with some experience of this on oversea's service I was inspired at the professionalism of everyone involved. Within minutes of hearing of the death of their colleague the team never missed a beat in responding to another incident on the track.

Empathy & team work on this day inspired me to talk to my own work colleagues about what I'd witnessed.
    It’s so heavily scripted with medical jargon it’s boiling me brain - not because I don’t understand the terms - I work with the terms and jargon every day - but for others who don’t it’s ridiculous- the paramedics are wooden and it’s plain to see them reading a script

Tbh I doubt it.

• Advertisement

They're great with kids, really great.

Wrapped it up well too. Meant a lot to them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I know a few on Rescue 115 and Air Corps 112, they are into UHG on a daily basis, there are wonderful crews in the HSE, Coastguard and the Air Corps we should be very proud of the great life saving work they do every day.

Advertisement