Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Roof join to existing gable

Options
  • 12-04-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I have done a search but can't found an existing thread on this

My house has a pitched roof. I want to add a sunroom to the gable wall of my house with a flat roof. I am concerned about the join between gable wall and the flat roof.
    I have read about the need for a cavity tray between wall leaves at the height of the flat roof. In a new build this is ok but in an existing house this isn’t possible.

Is flashing attached in the outer leaf enough to make the sunroom water tight or will dampness be an issue going forward?

I want to make sure that what I am thinking of doing will not introduce dampness issues to an otherwise dry house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Regardless of pitched or flat the tray/ flashing will be cut into the gable about 20-40mm and secured with render or a suitable compound.

The sun room won't really be flat as in true level, it will/should have a designed fall away from the house for water to run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

As you know yourself a tray as the proper way to do it but in your case that will almost certainly not be possible.

Cutting in a flashing is what is done in most cases but it means you are relying on the water resistance of your render to prevent water entering the cavity and going from there into your new sun room. Render is not specifically designed to be water proof but in many cases it is.

So the answer is - your milage may vary - many get away with it.

Advertisement