Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about buying protective gear from the UK

Options
  • 12-04-2018 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello all.

I am looking to do IBTs later in the year after completing my theory exam and getting a learners permit. For gear I have been considering buying this set of essentials:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0752DVJGM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A247TOA66MUIF9

Of course I'll have to buy a helmet separately. The thing is that this seller is located in the UK, so I was wondering if there is a chance it might not come with the ECE-2205 approval mark, or if such gear besides a helmet should come with one? And even then would it be legal to use this gear in this country?

If it isn't worth buying any such products from the UK then are there any gear shops in Dublin that would sell this type of gear in a complete set?

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your going to wet in pretty much all of that gear. Guaranteed.

Personally wouldn't trust it to last a year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

listermint wrote: »
    Your going to wet in pretty much all of that gear. Guaranteed.

Personally wouldn't trust it to last a year

Tbh your gonna be wet in any motorbike gear bar wearing a boiler suit.
    I'd be more concerned that it's **** gear that won't offer decent protection

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

As above, I would say start with some secondhand gear, a well known brand with good reviews.

Protection is No. 1 and weather proofing is no. 2.

Buying online and in the UK is a good option potentially, but check local ads too so you can perhaps try them on first

P.s. there is regulation about helmets, and currently no regulation about gear although it is on the way shortly....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Goose81 wrote: »
    Tbh your gonna be wet in any motorbike gear bar wearing a boiler suit.
    I'd be more concerned that it's **** gear that won't offer decent protection

Really?! My gear holds up fine. Anyway, I agree with both comments, it probably won't keep you dry or safe.

When starting out it's tough because you need to get all the gear but typically on a lower budget. Go online, and find the top rated budget priced gear and you shouldn't over spend by much, I wouldn't buy second hand because that will definitely leak! Sportsbikeshop is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

zubair wrote: »
    Really?! My gear holds up fine. Anyway, I agree with both comments, it probably won't keep you dry or safe.

When starting out it's tough because you need to get all the gear but typically on a lower budget. Go online, and find the top rated budget priced gear and you shouldn't over spend by much, I wouldn't buy second hand because that will definitely leak! Sportsbikeshop is a good start.

You can be lucky with gear that was ordered in the wrong size...

• Advertisement
Advertisement