Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck driver wages

Options
  • 12-04-2018 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, just wondering what sort of pay artic and rigid drivers are getting these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

hmerc wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering what sort of pay artic and rigid drivers are getting these days?

Not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

€110 a day, made up of €80 wages and €30 subsistence.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

Some examples of hourly rates here. Usually a 12 hour day, including 9 hours driving.

https://www.adverts.ie/jobs/drivers/303307/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hmerc

Is it common for all drivers to do 12 hour days?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

hmerc wrote: »
    Is it common for all drivers to do 12 hour days?

At least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

Normally drivers will do the maximum 15 hour day. You can only drive for 10 hours 2 days a week and 9 the rest but there is also a lot of waiting around to get tipped. On the wages side it all depends. An okish wage would be 12.50 plus expenses. That can be anywhere from 10 to 25 a day. Went for an interview with a big crowed in cork around 2 years ago. For European work it was 180 a day plus 45 a day expenses. The expenses is tax free. Just wasn't willing to be that far from home all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I do UK only fridge work in a 181 Scania S series.

If I take my weekend break in the UK, I take home just under €900 depending on diesel bonus.

It's a good wage but tough going for anyone with a family being away so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

How does the diesel bonus work. Is it setting your limit on cc at 80/85, easy on brakes etc. With opticruise does the truck do all the thinking.
    Was doing agency with a company that had a manual truck, and they wanted me to do block shifting up and down. Their permanent drivers were trained by Scania, and I was being compaired to them.

• Advertisement

bren11 wrote: »
    How does the diesel bonus work. Is it setting your limit on cc at 80/85, easy on brakes etc. With opticruise does the truck do all the thinking.
    Was doing agency with a company that had a manual truck, and they wanted me to do block shifting up and down. Their permanent drivers were trained by Scania, and I was being compaired to them.
    It's all pretty basic and not too hard to get.
    Coasting, cruise control, braking when only coming to a complete stop if possible and no unnecessary idling is usually sufficient.

Opticruise box is OK, definitely not as quick to react as the Volvo.
    For example, if you change your mind quickly about stopping at a roundabout you'll be left sitting there with your foot on the accelerator while the truck selects the gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's all pretty basic and not too hard to get.
    Coasting, cruise control, braking when only coming to a complete stop if possible and no unnecessary idling is usually sufficient.

Opticruise box is OK, definitely not as quick to react as the Volvo.
    For example, if you change your mind quickly about stopping at a roundabout you'll be left sitting there with your foot on the accelerator while the truck selects the gear.

Couldn't be any worse then the MAN at times it's borderline dangerous when it can't decide what gear it wants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭adamhughes

its much worse in northern ireland as when i was driving few years back, i was getting 7 something an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Topclass750

Run of the mill in the south is €110 to €130 depending on work and if you stay out, i know plenty of smaller firms that would dog you with full 9 or 10 driving everyday and start you @ 4 am.
    Everyone says there’s a massive scarcity of drivers but wages are still the same

adamhughes wrote: »
    its much worse in northern ireland as when i was driving few years back, i was getting 7 something an hour

I've yet to hear of a northern haulier that doesn't work the living daylights out of his drivers.
    Most are still paying by the trip which is a lottery in bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I've yet to hear of a northern haulier that doesn't work the living daylights out of his drivers.
    Most are still paying by the trip which is a lottery in bad weather.

Trip and by the day isn’t great unless your getting about 150 home a day

Advertisement