Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OUTSIDE GARDEN LIGHTS

Options
  • 12-04-2018 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

viper959 wrote: »

You will need to ensure that the armor of the SWA is connected to earth, preferably at both ends. Therefore it would be best to install a banjo strap even though the box is plastic.
    From there I was going to run a 1.5mm NYMJ cable ---PG glanded out of junction box into light fittings through cavity or plastic pipe within the stone wall.
    Ie The NYMJ cable will be mechanically protected within the wall cavity or plastic pipe.

Once the pipe shields the NYMJ from UV you are OK, but plastic conduit will look cr@p sticking out of a stone wall! Especially if it is white. I would rather a black SWA to be honest. Obviously the SWA would need a conduit of some sort if being installed in cement.
    Regarding the SWA ----(obviously needs to be 1.5mm squared? Or if memory serves well---- size changes per distance from board/house to outlet)?

It really depends on the size of the load, length of run and installation method.
    Regarding the NYMJ within the wall—how does my method sound;

See above.
    I would consider an NYMJ as an indoor cable (just my own opinion).
    ---If she goes arty/farty and decides against Cavity blocks---would you used the Plastic pipe buried within the wall?

Yup, with SWA (see above)

I’m told that outside light circuits must be protected by an RCBO—10A I presume?

10A would be a typical rating for a lighting circuit. B type characteristic would generally be selected for a domestic installation. For garden lights, I think RCD protection is a requirement. I don't do domestic electrical work so perhaps someone else can confirm. Either way my preference would be to install it for enhanced safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭viper959

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Put the banjo inside the box with a fly lead to Earth, IP washer or fibre washer on the outside I have seen odd efforts before. Both ends is ideal as 2011 said, but one end is acceptable if its not practical.

If you dont like the cleats you can get a half moon metal covering to go over/or sleeve it in conduit.

Id would recommend filling the joint boxes with Gel/Resin you can get the Gel in tubes if you dont want to mix. I think it was RayTec i used a while back.

I have used black copex before covering the cable to the light looked well. The other lads here might clear up about flex/Nymj im sure it must have mechanical protection to the fittings.

Yes on the RCBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

As 2011 has stated it is a requirement that the armour in an SWA cable is earthed. The armouring does not and cannot prevent penetration - the whole point of the protection is that the live conductors are protected by an earthed material surrounding them meaning that disconnection will occur.
    I'm not a huge fan of SWA into plastic enclosures, but if you must do it then you should first use a locknut to secure the gland, then INSIDE the enclosure install the banjo and then sandwich this between a second locknut. This is to prevent the plastic creeping which could have serious consequences for the connection between the gland/banjo and the armour. Instead you will have a reliable metal-on-metal contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

An old tip was to cut the end off the banjo, So you were left with a large washer. We used to do this years ago glanding into plastic isolators for greater surface area.

Wiska do a plastic joint box with a threaded plate inside and earth stud, its a bit expensive. You will never look back.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Put the cable in a conduit. Install it as the build the wall as you will never pull it through afterwards.
    Q: Apart from the above--May I ask an idiotic question---bad idea to bury any SWA/NYMJ in cement--ever-?

Direct burying cables in cement is not permitted. The cables must be protected from contact with the cement with a conduit. Perhaps a flexible conduit like Copex would suit.
    Q: Also, just checked--outside lights circuit is running off an MCB not an RCBO.--House is only 2 years old so I don't know why an MCB was only put in? Moreover, would you advise changing to a RCBO at this stage?

The fact that the electrical contractor did not install the correct device is neither here nor there.
    As above RCD protection is required.
    Obviously a REC will have to carry out any work on the distribution board.

• Advertisement
Advertisement