Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a bass neck

Options
  • 12-04-2018 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for a little advice.

I have an ibanez sr300dx, the neck doesnt have enough tension on it and it looks like the grooves on the truss are completely worn.

Bass only cost around $300 i think so im not to keen on spending too much for a new neck, do you think if I bought a neck made for a Fender that I might get it to fit or am I out of my mind?

If it could work, what should i be looking for in the replacement?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What do you mean by doesn't have enough tension? When you mention grooves on the truss, are you referring to the nut?

It sounds like you need heavier strings, and a new nut cut to accamodate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

Thanks for the response,
    Well theres loads of frett buzz up till 3rd fret and fades of through 5th ish.

Id say it was the victim of some dodgey home repairs, i can get an allan key but it turns freely without turning the truss. There seems to be grooves on the top of the truss that might be turned by a flat head screwdriver but I dont know if that is the same mechanism.

Maybe higher tension strings might cause the neck to bow more eliminating buzz?

The issue is most likely the truss anyway, im obviously guessing with a lot of stuff here so all info is appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Could you throw up a few photos to show what the issue is?

sure thing

Those images working?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Yep, the nut for turning the truss rod is completely knackered, probably from using the wrong size allen key in it, or worse trying to turn it with some other implement.
    A new neck could be an idea if someone has been butchering the truss rod!

Could atempting to turn the truss with a flat head be a last ditch effort?

If not, how should I go about getting a good n cheap alternative?
    Id never get so lucky that a generic Fender p bass neck would fit with alittle work?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Looks like you might just need a new truss rod nut. Bring it to a decent luthier/repair person, and they'll be able to tell you better.

Ibanez and Fender use different neck pocket sizes. You may be able to get a sr300dx neck from eBay though.

Advertisement