Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitbit V Garmin?

Options
  • 12-04-2018 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Just curious for some insight here – I’m a fairly new runner and have a Fitbit Charge 2 – I really like it. It tracks my distance, pace, average heart rate and peak heart rate, as well as calories. There’s no built in GPS but it takes the GPS from my Iphone and seems to work well.

That’s just the running functions – it does plenty more too for other sports and assists with sleep analysis (which is amazing!) and water intake, etc.

It also looks stylish and I can wear it with almost anything – which I feel is important if you’re forking out €€€ for a watch. :P The battery life is good and it charges very quickly.

However I note that 99% of runners at races seem to have Garmins instead! What is the overall benefit for running? Is it just built in GPS? Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Three advantages?

One, you don't need to carry your phone. Not a big deal on an easy run, maybe, but in a race you want to avoid carrying extra anything.

Two, the fitbit has a small display. On a garmin you can choose three or four fields to display, and they are all readable as you run. You can even switch between displays easily enough. It looks like the fitbit would be okay for recording data to review later, but not looking while you run.

Third, you can set up alerts and workouts on the garmin - get it to beep at certain points. Which could be every mile/km, or when you reach/fall below a certain heart rate/speed, or something like 6 x 800m with 2 1/2 minutes recovery.

Some might argue the second and third are not advantages...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

You can't give a give a give a Fitbit

Beverly Hills, California

Advertisement