Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple switch problem

Options
  • 12-04-2018 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have a light switch with 3 switches on it controlling 3 individual lights. This switch is the only way of controlling the lights. None of the three lights can be controlled from anywhere else and all 3 lights can be controlled separately. I had to move the light switch to make room for a wardrobe unit. I labeled the wires before removing them from the switch. Unfortunately the labels fell off. The setup is that there are 6 cables coming down to the switch. Each is twin and earth. All 6 earth's are put together in one joiner. All 6 neutrals are together in one joiner. So I have only the 6 lives to deal with. I got my meter out to see if I could determine which form pairs by means of continuity. I found one pair buy none of the others are matching up. I presume this had something to do with the way the LComs are connected. The LCom from switch one and switch three are both connected to L2. I would appreciate any help with this please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

woodman78 wrote: »
    I have a light switch with 3 switches on it controlling 3 individual lights. This switch is the only way of controlling the lights. None of the three lights can be controlled from anywhere else and all 3 lights can be controlled separately. I had to move the light switch to make room for a wardrobe unit. I labeled the wires before removing them from the switch. Unfortunately the labels fell off. The setup is that there are 6 cables coming down to the switch. Each is twin and earth. All 6 earth's are put together in one joiner. All 6 neutrals are together in one joiner. So I have only the 6 lives to deal with. I got my meter out to see if I could determine which form pairs by means of continuity. I found one pair buy none of the others are matching up. I presume this had something to do with the way the LComs are connected. The LCom from switch one and switch three are both connected to L2. I would appreciate any help with this please.

You can use your meter to check continuity between the live at each light and the corresponding live at the switch......these are your switch wires. They will go into the L1 terminal most likely!

The others should be the loop feed....but not sure why there are three! (Should be one in and one out, could be another loop taken off to feed another switch though!) They should be looped across the common (Lcom) terminals.

Some pics might help!

Did you put the loop between the Lcom and L2 terminal or was it existing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woodman78

Thanks Rob. How do I use the meter to check continuity between the live at each light and the corresponding live at the switch.

I will try to upload some pics later.

The loop between the Lcom and the L2 were existing.

Thanks Rob. How do I use the meter to check continuity between the live at each light and the corresponding live at the switch.

I will try to upload some pics later.

The loop between the Lcom and the L2 were existing.

How were you checking continuity previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woodman78

Rob I was checking the wires at the switch only for continuity.

I have made progress. When I restore power to the switch, 2 of 3 of the lights are switched ok but the third light remains on regardless of the switch position. Any ideas?

Rob I was checking the wires at the switch only for continuity.

I have made progress. When I restore power to the switch, 2 of 3 of the lights are switched ok but the third light remains on regardless of the switch position. Any ideas?

It sounds like the light which is permanently on has its switch wire connected into the loop feed (normally connected to common, but your wiring may not be this way since you changed it) at the switch. This needs to come out and go into the L1 terminal of that switch.

When you restore power, are all other lights in other rooms or parts of the house working correctly?

• Advertisement
Advertisement