Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket in toilets ?

Options
  • 11-04-2018 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody,

I know already that sockets are not allowed in bathrooms.
    What about in the toilets ? ( room without shower, just one loo and one hand basin )

Anyone knows if the regs are the same than in the bathroom ?

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

A toilet is not a special location.

Section 701 is for rooms containing a bath/shower and not any other type of room.

Why do you want a socket outlet in a room containing a toilet though?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

Risteard81 wrote: »

Section 701 is for rooms containing a bath/shower and not any other type of room.

Why do you want a socket outlet in a room containing a toilet though?

Thanks for your answer, Risteard81.
    The idea is to be able to plug a toothbrush charger not far from the bathroom.
    It's either in the toilets ( shelf in a corner , for ex ) , or in the bedrooms ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Put a bathroom strip light which includes a shaver socket above the basin, then you can park the toothbrush charger base on top and plug it into the shaver socket. That's my setup in the en suite and it works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Risteard81 wrote: »

It is when your`e absolutely bursting.

coylemj wrote: »
    Put a bathroom strip light which includes a shaver socket above the basin, then you can park the toothbrush charger base on top and plug it into the shaver socket. That's my setup in the en suite and it works fine.

I haven't thought of it, and this could be done, maybe.

I will just have a problem with the plugs, though.
    For the moment, the 2 chargers I have are with an Europlug ( 2 round pins of 4mm with 15 mm in between ) .
    The shaver plugs in Ireland seems to be with 2 round pins of 5 mm with 16.6mm in between ( I'm open to correction on this one ).
    That is pretty similar, but still, I'm not sure that will work.

( I use a Europlug to 3 pin adaptator for the moment, plugged outside the bathroom ).

I don't mind cutting the Europlug and fit a 2-pin shaver plug instead , but can't find any that is not an adaptator.
    Any thoughts ?

( power of the charger is 0.9 W ;-)

• Advertisement

bertie 56 wrote: »
    I will just have a problem with the plugs, though.
    For the moment, the 2 chargers I have are with an Europlug ( 2 round pins of 4mm with 15 mm in between ) .
    The shaver plugs in Ireland seems to be with 2 round pins of 5 mm with 16.6mm in between ( I'm open to correction on this one ).
    That is pretty similar, but still, I'm not sure that will work.

Yes, it's possible to have a mismatch. For example, I was on a cruise on an MSC ship and an Oral-B toothbrush charger plug which worked in my bathroom shaver socket would not fit into the two-pin socket in the cabin so I had to use the adapter ('Europlug to 3 pin adaptator') that you have.

All I can recommend is that if you're considering installing a shaver strip, bring the toothbrush charger with you and check that the plug will fit the shaver socket. The power draw is not an issue, it's miniscule.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yes, it's possible to have a mismatch. For example, I was on a cruise on an MSC ship and an Oral-B toothbrush charger plug which worked in my bathroom shaver socket would not fit into the two-pin socket in the cabin so I had to use the adapter ('Europlug to 3 pin adaptator') that you have.

All I can recommend is that if you're considering installing a shaver strip, bring the toothbrush charger with you and check that the plug will fit the shaver socket. The power draw is not an issue, it's miniscule.

I think most, if not all, shaver sockets here are designed to accommodate the Europlug (as well as US and sometimes AUS/NZ plugs too)?

Quackster wrote: »
    I think most, if not all, shaver sockets here are designed to accommodate the Europlug (as well as US and sometimes AUS/NZ plugs too)?

Yes they are but that's not what I was referring to which is a shaver plug going into a euro socket. That sometimes doesn't work because the pins on my toothbrush charger are slightly closer together than they are on a euro plug. So the two-pin 'shaver plug' on my toothbrush charger will go into a shaver socket no problem but I often find that it will not fit into a mains euro socket which means that if I want to charge it outside the bathroom in a hotel or cruise ship, I have to bring an adapter.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yes they are but that's not what I was referring to which is a shaver plug going into a euro socket. That sometimes doesn't work because the pins on my toothbrush charger are slightly closer together than they are on a euro plug. So the two-pin 'shaver plug' on my toothbrush charger will go into a shaver socket no problem but I often find that it will not fit into a mains euro socket which means that if I want to charge it outside the bathroom in a hotel or cruise ship, I have to bring an adapter.

Yep, totally agree. I've encountered the same problem. I was referring to the OP's situation though and that they would be fine with a shaver socket in their toilet as it would happily accommodate shavers/toothbrushes with Europlugs as well as BS 4573 plugs.

Quackster wrote: »

Yep, that's the best solution alright !

I found one , for example :
    " For use with European, British, American and Australian 2 pin plugs "

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/product.php/386847356/legrand-730090-synergy-white-moulded-dual-voltage-shaver-socket-120v---230v

Problem solved, then .

Thanks to all of you for your help :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement