Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from console to PC gaming - need help with purchasing/building machine :)

Options
  • 11-04-2018 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hey!

So I'm looking at getting rid of my Xbox one and purchasing/building a gaming PC to learn on. I play shooters mainly and am currently engrossed in fortnite. Im getting frustrated with console and want to make the move over!

Firstly, how long does it take to become proficient with the controls for anyone who's made the switch?

Secondly,.what sort of budget am I looking at to get a good machine that can handle most games (including fortnite) at a good fps and just performs very well? Am I better buying one or putting one together myself? No real budget in mind but would be looking at about 1k or a bit less even!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Id say 8-10 hours to get used to WASD movement, aiming is intuitive you just need to get sensitivities down.

1k is loads for what you want I think

Id say 8-10 hours to get used to WASD movement, aiming is intuitive you just need to get sensitivities down.

1k is loads for what you want I think, building tends to be cheaper but GPU prices are nuts at the minute so the difference isn't as big. they're on the way down though, when are you intending on starting to buy?

Have you a TV/monitor or do you need one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Not to fob you off or anything, the lads in the PC Building and Upgrading forum (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842) are great for recommendations for building PCs, getting the most bang for your buck, etc and will help you out regarding budget.

I can't recommend them highly enough, I've built two PCs off the back of their help/recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Last console i had was a PS2, was really good at gaming with it then started PC gaming around 2002 or so and haven't looked back.

Last year i got a Nvidia shield tv and i game from time to time on it with android games and GTA5 through the Gamestream and i can't for the life of me get comfortable with the controls on the controller.

So i can't imagine you feeling comfortable gaming on a PC after a day or 2 if you never did it before but if you stick with it, you won't look back

All about the muscle memory. You'll get used to mouse and k/b fast enough if you use them constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Or plug in an XBone controller and carry on.

Or plug in an XBone controller and carry on.
    11521323 wrote: »
    I play shooters mainly

Gluck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Gluck

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I could never get used to KB/M. But I mainly tried for a few minutes and gave up and just played with a Xbox One controller. I even used to play Battlefield 4 with the Xbox controller this is before Battlefield Hardline or 1 came out so it was extremely popular and I used to hold my own with the controller. I never came out on top except a rare game but I would always be in the middle or sometimes near the top of the score board at the end.

One thing that used to annoy me was a KB/M player was able to straddle left and right while shooting you. Very hard to do with controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think for most average players a controller is perfectly fine for most games. A friend of mine plays BF1 online with a controller and when we play online he's usually like what's outlined above, sits in the upper middle of the scoreboard most times.

Now, maybe he'd be right near the top if he was a keyboard/mouse player, but in most cases I think you'd be fine.

Would probably be a lot harder playing something like COD or Overwatch (DPS characters) though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Hi Former pc gamer who went to consoles and now plays pc again.

I use a 3 different DPI settings for different games 400 with 600 and 800 as my other profile options. [ some games need a faster DPI IMO]
    It tuck me a long time to get into the rhythm and reaction of pc/ compared to where I was on console. I'm still not there or happy with where my gaming is but its getting better.

Things that I've found that really help me progress was using: Macros on my mouse for medkits and grenades which has helped me improve so much.]

But most important Big mouse mats my current mat is 89 cm's long and 43 wide.I also have found that a good Wrist rest helps amazingly as well as a good chair nice mouse. and after that its practice. I guess.

But playing pc is totally worth it M/kb is worth it

I use an xbox controller for racing games.

Advertisement