Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu Irish mirror down.

Options
  • 11-04-2018 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Looks like ubuntu .ie mirror is down.

host ie.archive.ubuntu.com

ie.archive.ubuntu.com is an alias for ubuntu.ftp.heanet.ie.
    ubuntu.ftp.heanet.ie has address 193.1.193.69
    ubuntu.ftp.heanet.ie has IPv6 address 2001:770:18:aa40::c101:c145

Looks like the HEANet has a failure on it's array Mon Apr 09 17:09:17 2018
    https://ticketing.heanet.ie/public/show.html?id=1312119

No resolve date yet.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 anfirrua

I switched from heanet to UK mirrors for Fedora a while back, I was getting considerably and consistently great speeds from the UK mirrors.

Having disk(s) failures as being the cause of a service outage for multiple days is an embarrassment and reflects badly on operations/procedures at Heanet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

anfirrua wrote: »
    I switched from heanet to UK mirrors for Fedora a while back, I was getting considerably and consistently great speeds from the UK mirrors.

Having disk(s) failures as being the cause of a service outage for multiple days is an embarrassment and reflects badly on operations/procedures at Heanet.

As far as I know they chose not to mirror a number of distributions after the "incident"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

limnam wrote: »
    As far as I know they chose not to mirror a number of distributions after the "incident"

That seems to be the case.

I now use NLUUG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭opus

anfirrua wrote: »

Yup same for me, didn't realise it was due to a disk failure. Surely these days they'd be using some sort of RAID setup to avoid such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

opus wrote: »
    Yup same for me, didn't realise it was due to a disk failure. Surely these days they'd be using some sort of RAID setup to avoid such things.

Considering it's/was one of the fastest most utilized FTP servers in the world, I'm sure it was even before "these days" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭opus

Well I spent a few years working in CS for one of the large SAN providers & you'd be amazed at the stuff I came across!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It is a pity that Heanet decided not to provide mirrors for some (all of?) distros they previously had there.

Advertisement