Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi speed

Options
  • 10-04-2018 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have got connected to Fiber using Eir F2000 modem. I get speed up to 140mps using cabel connection on laptop but going to wifi it goes down to 20mps.
    Anyone know if this is normal
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

sole2 wrote: »
    I have got connected to Fiber using Eir F2000 modem. I get speed up to 140mps using cabel connection on laptop but going to wifi it goes down to 20mps.
    Anyone know if this is normal

This would probably get a better response in the Networking and Broadband forum, but yes, if you are using 802.11g on the laptop then that sort of speed would be normal, especially if you are not in the same room or there is a lot of other Wifi networks in the area on the same channel. 802.11n (or preferably 802.11ac but not sure if the Eir router supports that) would give faster speeds. Any recent laptop should be able to use 802.11n.
    If you are using Windows 10 you can click properties under the Wifi Network name and it will tell you which one you are using under protocol.

Advertisement