Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacklisted IMEI

Options
  • 10-04-2018 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

I bought an unlocked phone new in a local shop.

Worked fine here and on recent trips to Europe, however last weekend in UK I couldnt get the phone to register with a local network.

Tracked it down to the IMEI being "blacklisted"

Can this be "unlocked" or do I have to go looking for a new phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

That phone was probably “lost” in uk and money claimed off the insurance - no way of going back now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

it was brand new in packaging.
    I have the receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

RobAMerc wrote: »
    it was brand new in packaging.
    I have the receipt

Go speak to the guys and ask for your money back, i don’t really know many examples of blacklisted IMEI to be an accident, althought there are millions occurrances when the phone is bought (no need to open the box) and reported stolen after some time or even the same week.

There used to be insurance companies who would ask for you to go to the police station in the uk, get it reported, then go to your provider and tell them when did you use the phone last and so on and so far, but now there are plenty that don’t even ask for any of this and after you oay the excess fee (if any) you get a new phone sent to you

Advertisement