Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Computing Carlow IT

Options
  • 10-04-2018 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking for some feedback on the above course if anyone has completed it. I'm coming from an English and History background but have some knowledge in systems and software development as the OH has done the software engineering degree and I've sat in with him working on projects and helped with exam study so picked up a bit from that. Would you recommend this course? I presume it is a pretty intensive course. Any advice if I get called for an interview.
    Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

First the name has changed 'the higher diploma' is no more, it is now called BSc in software development (CW207).

Characteristics of the course include a common first year which allows you to switch to other streams (IT management vs software development vs cybersecurity) at the end of year 1. That first year is also purely continuous assessment (keeps you on your toes during first year).

There is a work placement in year 3.

Demonstrating interest in programming for the interview is probably the number one thing: take an introductory online course, practice some basic coding (e.g. python or basic Java).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Geniemac84

echancrure wrote: »
    First the name has changed 'the higher diploma' is no more, it is now called BSc in software development (CW207).

Characteristics of the course include a common first year which allows you to switch to other streams (IT management vs software development vs cybersecurity) at the end of year 1. That first year is also purely continuous assessment (keeps you on your toes during first year).

There is a work placement in year 3.

Demonstrating interest in programming for the interview is probably the number one thing: take an introductory online course, practice some basic coding (e.g. python or basic Java).

Hi. Thanks for your reply but I'm not looking for feedback on the undergrad course. It's the postgraduate. Higher diploma that I'm thinking of. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Ah sorry !

Feel free to email Keara the course director she'll be more than happy to help.

The remark on programming still applies.
    From what I know this course is very successful in placing students who end up getting permanent jobs out of it.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 icecream89

I completed this course last year. It's very manageable and to be honest I don't think you will have any bother getting a place on it as long as you have some sort of degree behind you as required for springboard courses. There were around 16 in the class some of whom didn't have much computer skills and they managed it fine as well, everyone who put any effort in got the deploma. A few people got jobs after the course but I can't say it was because of the careers guy he was of very little help. Lecturers on the course were very good for the most part and helped in every way they could. Its a good course to get an entry level position working in IT depending on what you are looking for. I would recommend doing it if you are looking to get in to IT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I'm just coming towards the end this course, my undergrad was in music (other undergrads included ancient classics, business, product design and micro biology!) The interview was grand, they just went through my cv and asked the usual questions (why you want to do it/what you hope to get out of etc). They'd emailed me with an offer by the time I'd driven back to wexford! It seems if you get called for an interview, you're almost guaranteed to get in!

I've a job set up as soon as I'm finished, but would echo icecream89 and say the careers guy was a bit sh1te. We had a class scheduled with him each week and he only showed up the once! The other lecturers were excellent, and they tried their best to ensure no one got left behind in anything
    With regards the course I found the first semester to be really good, learned a lot in the 3 month period, but the second semester seemed to be really poorly planned, a lot less classroom based learning and a lot more figure it out yourself, which is ok when you've being doing something for years, but when you've only been doing it sense September it can cause a few issues.

If you are planning on doing the course I would suggest you spend some time learning the basics of Python (the programming language used on the course, I think other years used java and python, but it was solely done through python this year). maybe also look at some html/css/php and networking basics as well, I think you'd be far better set up if you had even the slightest understanding of these before starting it would help you massively.

Overall I really enjoyed the course and I ended up with a job at the end of it, so it ultimately done its job.

If you've got any questions on it, feel free to pm me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Earlcatherine

Hi!
    Looking for some advise also, I have applied to do the same course this September in Carlow Hdip in computing the part time option as I'm working too. Any tips or recommendations? I'm nervous as hell because I have a business background but not IT! Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 icecream89

you will be fine doing this course part time it's not going to be to intensive doing it part time. there is a bit of work to it but it's not particularly hard everything is explained quite well so it's mainly learning what notes you take for exams and a few assignment's which are heavily assisted

Advertisement