Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile coverage in the city

Options
  • 10-04-2018 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting my 12 year old a smartphone from Tesco Mobile. Prices seem good - but what’s the catch? Is mobile coverage acceptable in Galway city? He’d be using it area from Maigh Cullen to Oranmore but mainly around Newcastle/salthill areas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Considered them when I last changed, everything I read put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I have Tesco Mobile and have no issues around town they are on the 3 network so rural not great

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

I have had tesco mobile for last 2years until last week when I switched to vodafone. Phone signal is fine all round the city (except inside Sallylongs pub for some reason). There are a good few places where internet coverage is basically unuseable the applegreen on the tuam road being one such place. If internet is important I'd avoid, I have never gotten 4g with tesco ever anywhere and if you go outside city a good few places barely have phone coverage on it, just a heads up. Out the old monivea road in athenry a couple of miles and I have zero coverage of any description in my cousins house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

pretty poor overall, i was with them for 2yrs and wasnt happy with coverage or data speed. Was missing s lot of phone calls too. Switched to virgin media and woudent look back, 4G data all days long

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Notch000 wrote: »
    pretty poor overall, i was with them for 2yrs and wasnt happy with coverage or data speed. Was missing s lot of phone calls too. Switched to virgin media and woudent look back, 4G data all days long

Interesting ... they both use the same network (Three) :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I was thinking of getting my 12 year old a smartphone from Tesco Mobile. Prices seem good - but what’s the catch? Is mobile coverage acceptable in Galway city? He’d be using it area from Maigh Cullen to Oranmore but mainly around Newcastle/salthill areas.
    Do your kid a favour,don't,was with TM,both my teen and I ,it's rubbish,went o VF hit him a good deal e20 a month 25 GB of 4g data,free premium Spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Do your kid a favour,don't,was with TM,both my teen and I ,it's rubbish,went o VF hit him a good deal e20 a month 15 GB of 4g data,free premium Spotify
    Do your kid a favour,don't,was with TM,both my teen and I ,it's rubbish,went o VF hit him a good deal e20 a month 15 GB of 4g data,free premium Spotify
    Do your kid a favour,don't,was with TM,both my teen and I ,it's rubbish,went o VF hit him a good deal e20 a month 25 GB of 4g data,free premium Spotify
    Sorry fingers too fat, should read 15 GB of data a month,plus free first month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Thanks everyone - seems to be a case of “buy cheap, pay dear” so I’ll put him on the same network as us (3 Mobile).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Stone wrote: »
    Interesting ... they both use the same network (Three) :confused:

Tesco use the old 02 network, not the new. They have poorer signal, coverage and no 4g internet. It's like 02 in 2005.

I've used them, found them great on the westside but awful on the eastside of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anyone know what Eir coverage is like?
    This would be a good issue for a sticky thread actually, a thread with opinions and maybe an ongoing poll on mobile network coverage. With so many deals I'm sure lots of us will be chopping and changing plans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement