Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement GPS watch...

Options
  • 09-04-2018 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Long story short - my Garmin forerunner 110 is destroyed. It's been held together recently by super glue & cable ties. But its now at a stage where the strap is disintegrating.

I'm dont want to spend hundreds of €€€ on a replacement. Are there any cheap GPS watches anyone wound recommend? I don't need all the features - just stopwatch, pace & distance covered.

I do like the simplicity of the forerunner 110.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

I replaced my forerunner 110 with the forerunner 230 last year, find it great. can usually be picked up for around €200. i got it on sale from wiggle for €165.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Thanks - Are there any GPS watches available for less than €100 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks - Are there any GPS watches available for less than €100 though?

Keep an eye on sports direct. They have flash sales every now and then for 12-24 hours and you might get a good deal. The forerunner 25 or 35 was incredibly cheap a couple of months ago in one of their sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Try ebay I bought my present Garmin 225 for 95 euro. I can't fault it.

• Advertisement

tomtom have discontinued their gps watches. so no app updates or maybe gone completely in the future.

the other one I've never heard of but I imagine that the app/cloud side will be poor/limited.

the advantage of Garmin is the app/online/cloud aspect - it will always be there as garmin aren't going to disappear.

might be worth trying ebay as suggested. even 2nd-hand can be fine - lots of people upgrade their watches and sell the old one.

if you can find one of the garmin watches with bluetooth it can be very handy as then you can sync to phone app.

the vivoactive hr gps 2nd hand might be a good one.
    this is the watch
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/garmin-vivoactive-hr-gps-smart-watch/123064617228?epid=24014133756&hash=item1ca739090c:g:qUgAAOSwa59ayOC0

Thanks all for the advice.

I picked up a Garmin Forerunner 25 in Power City today. They had a 'large' (Black face and strap with red line on the face - a mens) and a 'small' (black face with a light purple-ish colour strap and the same purple on the face - a ladies).

The functionality was the same but the faces were slightly different sizes and apparently the straps were a different size too. The 'small' was €109.95 but the large was €10 dearer!

Anyway, they gave me the 'large' for €109.95.

Thanks all for the advice.

I picked up a Garmin Forerunner 25 in Power City today. They had a 'large' (Black face and strap with red line on the face - a mens) and a 'small' (black face with a light purple-ish colour strap and the same purple on the face - a ladies).

The functionality was the same but the faces were slightly different sizes and apparently the straps were a different size too. The 'small' was €109.95 but the large was €10 dearer!

Anyway, they gave me the 'large' for €109.95.

cool that has bluetooth so handy for syncing your data. probably not something you think much about but you're less likely to do it if you need to use cables etc all the time. handy to see your (hopefully) progress over time.
    could be worth picking up a compatible heart-rate monitor down the line as HR can be useful certainly.

Advertisement