Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Al Blue Lewis

Options
  • 09-04-2018 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Just happened to notice from browsing on a related matter that Al Blue Lewis, who famously fought Muhammad Ali in his only ever bout in Ireland back in the 1970s, passed away earlier this year.

The Wikipedia entry says "his death was not significantly publicized". So I'm redressing the balance somewhat here.

Those of us old enough to have lived through the time of the Ali-Lewis fight, even if we're not especially boxing fans, remember the attendant hoopla and publicity (it was The Greatest, after all) and an amusing round of interviews Ali did on the TV. The one that is best remembered now was one with Cathal O'Shannon on RTE but I am sure I remember one with the late great Micheal O'Hehir, which was laugh out loud hilarious. Maybe time is playing tricks on my memory.

Anyway, just thought some of you might be interested--and might not have heard--of the passing of his opponent that day.

Advertisement