Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Urine in garden

Options
  • 09-04-2018 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys, I wonder would any of you know how to get the smell of cat wee removed from a concrete wall in the back garden.I have tried bleach, vinegar, lemon, jeyes fluid and other solutions.The bleach and hotwater and also the jeyes fluid worked for a day or two and the smell comes back,especially when its warm. Cats used to walk the back garden walls but have stopped now thank fully, but the smell remains in one part of the garden on the way then other days the smell comes and goes and its very hard to locate if the smell is actually in other parts of the garden or the breeze is just catching it.Any suggestions folks?Im thinking gardening section may be the best forum
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you sure it's cat piss you're smelling? we used to have a plant in the garden which smelled like it, so we had to lift it. will have to ask my wife the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 foxy2017

Thanks It is cats piss for sure, before I moved in the previous own had strays cats and fed them all, They use to walk the back walls and sleep near by, but over the last year we have cleared the garden, all junk removed,Walls and fences painted and freshen up,The cats have gone away and the garden is kept in great shape,from sweeping to power hosing the stones,We have no grass, and no plants on our side or neighbor,s either,,Our neighbor's do not get the smell it seems to linger in ours

• Registered Users Posts: 28,142 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While I sympathise with the aggravation, I really don't think that cat pee would last that long or survive that kind of cleaning, especially outside. One of the conifers (can't remember which one, I did have a prostrate version of it for a while) smells strongly of cat pee. And have you looked what is happening on the other side of the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I have a cat/cats coming into the garden sh*tting and pissing in the flower beds. I’ve yet to actually see one in the garden.
    It may be that it’s coming back and pissing there without you knowing.

I would guess it is not so much pee as tomcats spraying, not that that helps, but if they keep coming back they will keep marking 'their' territory. You could try getting some sort of citrus oil and spraying the area with a dilution of that, they hate citrus smell. They are not very keen on vinegar either, might be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This will be a tom who has claimed the territory and is determined to make it HIS.

I have one here who sprays all he can reach, even my washing. He used ti live here.

Eau de tomcat is a terrible stench. It is urine but far stinkier. I use a bleach spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bleach contains ammonia, which smells like wee. If you’re using bleach you could well be encouraging them to spray more. You’re better off getting a dedicated pet-wee-smell-remover or using diluted bio washing liquid.

That's an interesting point Kylith!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kylith wrote: »
    Bleach contains ammonia
    Bleach contains sodium hypochlorite.
    Household ammonia contains ammonium hydroxide.

These are not the same. They react together dangerously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭macraignil

foxy2017 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I wonder would any of you know how to get the smell of cat wee removed from a concrete wall in the back garden.I have tried bleach, vinegar, lemon, jeyes fluid and other solutions.The bleach and hotwater and also the jeyes fluid worked for a day or two and the smell comes back,especially when its warm. Cats used to walk the back garden walls but have stopped now thank fully, but the smell remains in one part of the garden on the way then other days the smell comes and goes and its very hard to locate if the smell is actually in other parts of the garden or the breeze is just catching it.Any suggestions folks?Im thinking gardening section may be the best forum

It might be worth trying to overpower the cat smell with something less offensive and some plants are great for fragrance. My favorites would include Mahonia, Honeysuckle and Sarcococca but there is a more extensive list here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you sure it's cat piss you're smelling? we used to have a plant in the garden which smelled like it, so we had to lift it. will have to ask my wife the name of it.
    'it was some sort of salvia'.

my reaction was along the lines of one or two posts above. the notion of the smell of old cat urine lingering for as long as it has seems odd.

kylith wrote: »
    Bleach contains ammonia, which smells like wee. If you’re using bleach you could well be encouraging them to spray more. You’re better off getting a dedicated pet-wee-smell-remover or using diluted bio washing liquid.

That is a myth, in my considerable experience. To our weak noses maybe but to a cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

Bio logical washing powder/soap!

Buy in bulk from aldi or lidl and that should do it! Needs to be biological and not non bio.

It removes the smell to us and animals! I use it all the time when fostering dogs to prevent re marking in the house if they've had an accident and have used in the garden to remove the urine smell in gravel and artificial grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 foxy2017

looksee wrote: »
    While I sympathise with the aggravation, I really don't think that cat pee would last that long or survive that kind of cleaning, especially outside. One of the conifers (can't remember which one, I did have a prostrate version of it for a while) smells strongly of cat pee. And have you looked what is happening on the other side of the wall?

Hi , sorry for late reply, both my neighbors and also the house at back just have grass and path ways to the shed, no trees or plants.Cats use to reside around the shed in my garden and my neighbors .I cleared the garden when i got a skip , bleached and sprayed the area where they use to sleep.No more cats for sure but the smell now and again returns.Very strange

foxy2017 wrote: »
    Hi , sorry for late reply, both my neighbors and also the house at back just have grass and path ways to the shed, no trees or plants.Cats use to reside around the shed in my garden and my neighbors .I cleared the garden when i got a skip , bleached and sprayed the area where they use to sleep.No more cats for sure but the smell now and again returns.Very strange

They are marking. Very territorial are male cats and will sneak back and spray.

Advertisement