Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hefty renewal shocker!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭treascon

Before I opened the link I knew it was Liberty Insurance. They really are something else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It seems that having an open claim of any sort on your policy means you're fecked for renewal.

To be fair, he has TWO claims against him. He rear ended people twice in one year yet he goes on how he's had no claims etc. No sympathy really if he crashed twice.

Although in his defense, these whiplash/soft tissue damage claims need to be shut down immediately. Ireland and the UK are the only countries in Europe really paying out for this nonsense. Why can't we follow the standard like the rest of Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd be interested to see how this plays out. He is not entitled to go to the DCC as he has been offered a quote. No other insurer will touch him with 2 open claims. The ombudsman does not have any jurisdiction when it comes to pricing so won't be able to do anything with his complaint.

The other side of it is that offering a price that high is tantamount to refusing to quote which the ombudsman can get involved in.

I'd hope that this price was just automatically issued with no intervention because any underwriter that signs off on issuing a premium of €19k shouldn't be any where near an underwriting department.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Both incidents he was hit from behind ... and the other parties sueing him for injuries????? That can't be right!!

Surely Ombudsman could investigate Liberty as to why he being penalised fir being hit from behind.....

Unless there is some scam going on here!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Masala wrote: »
    Both incidents he was hit from behind ... and the other parties sueing him for injuries????? That can't be right!!

Surely Ombudsman could investigate Liberty as to why he being penalised fir being hit from behind.....

Try reading the article again....
    "I wasn't going at speed when I hit both from behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

These days causing a very minor accident can be a death sentence to your way of life.

I use my car every day for 120km to get to work and come back. If I cant insure my car, I cant work, I cant pay my bills or buy food.

From what he is saying, those two accidents were minor and depending on car, fixing those cars would be 5k max. Now he is stuck with two claims on his name, because both "poor souls" claiming together about 50k for whiplash.

So sick of this crap. My renewal went up this year again, but broker cut his own fees to match it with last year. I pay 1070eu as 32 year old with 9 ncb and zero claims. ****ing stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

€19000+ after 2 claims. I think he'll be walking.

His problem is will another insurance company touch him till the claims are settled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    His problem is will another insurance company touch him till the claims are settled?

The open claims shouldn't effect a new insurer though no?
    Surely they could only ever go against the insurer he was with at the time of the accidents?

Car insurance seems to be getting entirely out of hand in this country and it's about time someone looked into it in great depth (someone with the actual powers to do something cause the ombudsman is pretty useless) or they open up the market for some competition.

And stop this bloody claims compo nonsense :mad:

wexie wrote: »
    The open claims shouldn't effect a new insurer though no?
    Surely they could only ever go against the insurer he was with at the time of the accidents?

Car insurance seems to be getting entirely out of hand in this country and it's about time someone looked into it in great depth (someone with the actual powers to do something cause the ombudsman is pretty useless) or they open up the market for some competition.

And stop this bloody claims compo nonsense :mad:

One of the first questions on the form is do you / have you had any claims in the last 5 years.. Two open claims & red flags pop up. These claims could be for millions as far as a new company is concerned. Even if the claims were settled many companies would shy away from two claims in 5 years.

I do feel sorry for him but two accidents in such a short period of time where he is speeding / driving too close to the car in front for the weather conditions? I'd feel safer on the road if they made him sit the test again or had to get some lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

The other side of it is that offering a price that high is tantamount to refusing to quote which the ombudsman can get involved in.

Yea 19,000 is as good as a no quote.

He'll end up insured for a lot less than 19k but still a hefty premium.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

CardinalJ wrote:
    He'll end up insured for a lot less than 19k but still a hefty premium.

Who'd offer him terms and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Who'd offer him terms and why?

His current insurer. They will struggle to explain to the ombudsmam/central bank how 19000 is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Masala wrote: »

Sorry guys..... My Bad!! Read this without my reading glasses and without my 1st cup of Coffee intake this morning!!!

NOW..... it all makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

The link isn't opening for me across multiple browsers for some reason - are the claims against him still open or are they settled?

To be fair, he rear-ended 2 different vehicles and although we don't know the circumstances in which that came about he's still been involved with two different incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

CardinalJ wrote: »
    His current insurer. They will struggle to explain to the ombudsmam/central bank how 19000 is reasonable.

He's prone to crashing, and when he does claims come out.

He's a risky prospect and they're pricing him accordingly.

We may have averaged health insurance in Ireland, but no such thing for motoring.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    He's prone to crashing, and when he does claims come out.

He's a risky prospect and they're pricing him accordingly.

We may have averaged health insurance in Ireland, but no such thing for motoring.

I agree. Heavily load careless drivers & not us safe drivers. Makes sense to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

The link isn't opening for me across multiple browsers for some reason - are the claims against him still open or are they settled?

To be fair, he rear-ended 2 different vehicles and although we don't know the circumstances in which that came about he's still been involved with two different incidents.

Driver (48) 'gobsmacked and devastated' at €19k insurance quote
    A motorist was shocked when his annual motor insurance renewal quote rocketed to an incredible €19,000.

Meath publican Brian Kelly (48) rang Liberty Insurance to point out what he thought was an administrative error.

However, the company told him the policy price of €19,368.26 for his 2007 1.6-litre Toyota Avensis was correct.

The increase was more than €15,000 extra on his insurance costs for last year, and over €18,500 more than his 2016 insurance policy of €800.

Mr Kelly, who is a director of the suicide awareness voluntary group Save Our Sons and Daughters (SOSAD) was left scratching his head when Liberty told him that the huge premium was because of two outstanding claims against him.

"I'm in shock. Sure, who could afford to pay €19,000 for car insurance? You'd buy a new car for that," he said.

"I'm with Liberty Insurance 17 years and had nine years of a no-claims bonus intact.

Claims

"I've had two tips since Christmas 2016 on two separate occasions in Navan and Slane.

"I wasn't going at speed when I hit both from behind. I got out of the car and swapped insurance details. There seemed to be very little damage, if any, to the vehicles and the drivers got out and seemed fine. In one of the incidents, there was even a garda driving behind us who stopped for a few minutes but left us to sort everything out.

"When I heard there were two personal injuries claims against me pending, I was both gobsmacked and devastated."

Mr Kelly now has a month to seek new insurance cover but does not think that anyone else will insure him because of the incidents.

"I can't afford to pay €19,000, but I need my car," he added.

"I've been a director of SOSAD since 2009 and do a lot of fundraising. What am I going to do now? To be quoted €19,000 is ludicrous in itself. I know after the first incident in 2016, the premium went from €800 to €4,000 and I paid it.

"But this jump is completely out of the ballpark."

Mr Kelly has contacted the Financial Services Ombudsman to make a complaint.

"I hold up my hands to the accidents, but I just can't understand how a quote of over €19,000 can be justified.

"I believe that the claim culture in this country will literally drive us all off the roads and has to be looked at," he added.

Liberty Insurance did not respond to a request for comment.

From the Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Driver (48) 'gobsmacked and devastated' at €19k insurance quote

From the Independent

Thanks dude!

still pending, that explains it then..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Id be looking at hiring a car for the year

Advertisement