Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moss in Garden

Options
  • 09-04-2018 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I got a moss problem in my garden, I put moss killer down every other year but it keeps coming back. Any other suggestions as to what I could do?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I got a moss problem in my garden, I put moss killer down every other year but it keeps coming back. Any other suggestions as to what I could do?

Roundup the entire lawn and reseed. (Be careful with this though)

Put in drains if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭blackbox

lordgoat wrote: »
    Roundup the entire lawn and reseed. (Be careful with this though)

Put in drains if you can.

Roundup won't kill the moss, only the grass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds like you're addressing the symptom and not the cause. what's the drainage and aspect like?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Moss grows where grass is weak. Work out why your grass is weak and address that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I have a problem with moss as well, I got stuff in the hardware shop that's supposed to encourage the grass growth and deal with the moss as well.

Time will tell if it works or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The problem is that to feed a lawn sufficient to have grass outcompete moss you’ll be cutting it lots.

I’ve been told high K fertiliser will kill moss without over growing grass, I was looking for some 0-7-30 but it isn’t stocked locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'm trying Mobacter this year which is 5-5-20 anyway. The grass looked healthy and was growing well but i gave it the first cut the other day and can still see the moss grrr. Probably takes a bit longer than 3 weeks to work though and i might not have been too heavy with my application. Will try another application midsummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

call pest inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulreilly05

thanks for suggestions folks. yes, there might be an issue with drainage the garden is wet a lot and the soil is poor. I can't imagine the drainage is going to be easy to fix however. will try the fertilizer approach or if that fails artifical grass

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

thanks for suggestions folks. yes, there might be an issue with drainage the garden is wet a lot and the soil is poor. I can't imagine the drainage is going to be easy to fix however. will try the fertilizer approach or if that fails artifical grass
    It's much less effort & expense to fix lawn drainage than to install artificial grass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Washing powder for clothes works, I've tried it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057089460

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I'm trying Mobacter this year which is 5-5-20 anyway. The grass looked healthy and was growing well but i gave it the first cut the other day and can still see the moss grrr. Probably takes a bit longer than 3 weeks to work though and i might not have been too heavy with my application. Will try another application midsummer.

Mobacter works best when soil temps are above 10 degrees...we're still below 10 at the moment but next week should see temps rise above 10...i've used it before and its works very well but needs to be applied every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Washing powder for clothes works, I've tried it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057089460

On a lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭jaffa20

gillad wrote: »
    Mobacter works best when soil temps are above 10 degrees...we're still below 10 at the moment but next week should see temps rise above 10...i've used it before and its works very well but needs to be applied every year

oh really, do you think i need to reapply and wasted half the bag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

jaffa20 wrote: »
    oh really, do you think i need to reapply and wasted half the bag?

I think its 6/8 weeks before you can reapply as you might over fertilize the lawn.
    I'm not sure how the bacteria in it live but there might be some left in your lawn and may start to grow and eat the moss once the temps rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Anyone tried this

https://vivagreengroup.com/product-category/mossoff/

Having a similar issue and was going to give this a go

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Did not mean to hijack this thread had seen above viva green Moss Off in the Arboretum and now in Woodies, surely someone has tried it out ?

Sounds Interesting.

I have used a lawn rake on back garden to remove moss, was going to give this a try on front lawn ( the bit that people can see)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 prawn1

I saw Diarmuid Gavin recommending this product on Ireland AM and as its chemical free and irish i decided to give it a go. I bought the Multi Surface and the Lawn Care.

I applied the product to my tarmac drive and i could see the results within a few days. The lawn took slightly longer but its now killed off all the moss and i will reseed in the next few days.

Would highly recommend to anyone who has a Moss Problem.

Advertisement