Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise Issue - Group living scheme next door

Options
  • 09-04-2018 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

We moved into a terrace house in a new development just over a year ago. approx. 6 months after, the adjoining house became frequented, fast forward 3 months and it seems that this is an assisted living arrangement.

There is one guy in the house that I suspect has severe pyschiatric issues. He roars and shouts (just the word ‘no’ ! ) and kicks & bangs doors and walls. It’s fairly scary to hear the shouting but the banging is on another level. Last Friday evening we arrived home from work around 8pm and the banging was so bad that the plates in our presses were rattling.
    I have a 5 year old niece who stays over with us from time to time but I can’t allow it anymore as the noise would terrify her. Similarly, I wouldn’t be comfortable having guests over.

The thing is, I think this kind of service is super but, I’m not sure that a terrace house is the right property for it. I’m not saying lock people away in remote areas but, perhaps a bigger detached house would be more suitable (for everyone). I also think it’s sad for the other guy that lives there, it must be hard for him to see the other guy so distressed.
    It’s difficult to catch the carers / support workers as they do shift work and come late / leave early. I’m also reluctant to knock in as I don’t want to cause a scene at the front door.

Tried calling the HSE but they were useless. Even if they could move this chap to a room on the other side of the house (they’re end of terrace so no house on the other side).

Any suggestion or experience with this kind of setup? TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

eplchick wrote: »
    I’m also reluctant to knock in as I don’t want to cause a scene at the front door.

Knock in....thats the best way, find out the story, then decide what action is needed. Are you even sure its an assisted living place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eplchick

Yep, certainly appears to be an assisted living arrangement. I've met the two lads and one of the workers out and about. We've also knocked on two other occasions as they've mistakenly taken our bins and blocked our driveway and you'll see the guys cooking in the kitchen.

Think I’ll knock in to see if I can arrange a time for a quick word in our house. I’d be uneasy discussing the chap when he’s within earshot.

Advertisement