Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap RTA suggestions.

• 08-04-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

So, following on from my earlier thread about coils not lasting more then a few days in my Baby Beast I'm going to give building my own a shot.

I'm wondering if anybody can suggest a good (and cheap) RTA for me to get started with? I have read of clones of well known tanks being an option but am new to vaping so don't really know where to begin. I'd like to order it from somewhere that will deliver it fairly quickly if possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'd find it very hard to recommend any of the Irish vendors when it comes to tanks. The cheapest you'll find will come from China, but the wait can be long. The best in-between option is buying from the UK. Look for a deal on the OBS Engine, it is the easiest RTA I have ever built on, no complications, a simple velocity style deck [2 x 2 hole posts] - if you can make a half decent coil at all, it's just a matter of screwing them to the deck, wicking and dipping the wick into provided holes, and away you go. I've had a look there and it seems out of stock on a lot of sites. Other cheap and easy RTA include the Griffin 25mm and the Herakles RTA-2. Search for those on UK sites and you might find a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

So, following on from my earlier thread about coils not lasting more then a few days in my Baby Beast I'm going to give building my own a shot.

I'm wondering if anybody can suggest a good (and cheap) RTA for me to get started with? I have read of clones of well known tanks being an option but am new to vaping so don't really know where to begin. I'd like to order it from somewhere that will deliver it fairly quickly if possible.

Thanks!

I'd recommend the Geekvape Zues. It's single coil, leak proof and bags of flavour. I got another one as part of the GB flash sale for under 18 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

conjon wrote: »
    I'd recommend the Geekvape Zues. It's single coil, leak proof and bags of flavour. I got another one as part of the GB flash sale for under 18 delivered.

The Zeus is a great tank but can be a pain to coil and wick. I'd suggest the Themis RTA for a beginner which is an upgraded Zeus that much easier to build, take single or dual coils, leak-proof and gives great flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

What did you go for in the end op? I'm mostly an MTL vaper but do a bit of DTL with a baby beast. Getting sick of coils burning out quickly so was thinking of picking up a single coil RTA. Been looking at the Kylin Mini, Geekvape Zeus and Themis.

Bit put off Themis and Zeus due to their size, I'll be using it on Smok Alien so there would be overhang. Max tank size the alien will take is 24mm without overhang.
    The Kylin Mini is supposedly very temperamental to wick right.

Also wondering if anyone can recommend some nice pre-made coils I can order from fasttech that would be good for these kind of tanks? All I know about is simple kanthal and ss316l coils I use in MTL builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭IRISH OS1R1S

What did you go for in the end op? I'm mostly an MTL vaper but do a bit of DTL with a baby beast. Getting sick of coils burning out quickly so was thinking of picking up a single coil RTA. Been looking at the Kylin Mini, Geekvape Zeus and Themis.

Bit put off Themis and Zeus due to their size, I'll be using it on Smok Alien so there would be overhang. Max tank size the alien will take is 24mm without overhang.
    The Kylin Mini is supposedly very temperamental to wick right.

Also wondering if anyone can recommend some nice pre-made coils I can order from fasttech that would be good for these kind of tanks? All I know about is simple kanthal and ss316l coils I use in MTL builds.

I'm sure there is plenty better, but.......

For the price you can't really go wrong with some Reloads. This version comes with 2 extra glass and there is a bubble glass available for extra capacity. It can do both dual or single coil builds (use a big ass coil for single) and comes in lots of colours and both 24mm and 27mm. I mtl too, but I do own 2 of these and I use them now and then. Never an issue.
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10035943/8754901-reload-styled-rta-rebuildable-tank-atomizer

All good coils.
    28 AWG / 0.32mm dia. / 1ohm / 15*20mm leads:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10016556/3351602-ltq-vaper-kanthal-a1-pre-coiled-resistance-wire

24 AWG / 0.5mm dia. / 0.5ohm / 15*20mm leads:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10016556/3351600-ltq-vaper-kanthal-a1-pre-coiled-resistance-wire

32 AWG (0.2mm dia.) / 1.5mm*0.15mm / 0.3ohm:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10015931/3491702-authentic-pilotvape-kanthal-a1-pre-coiled

26/32 AWG / 0.4mm*0.2mm dia. / 0.5ohm:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10015931/3407706-authentic-pilotvape-kanthal-a1-pre-coiled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

You dont really see them anymore but make sure you dont buy something with a three post design as they can get very fiddly.
    Best bet is to look for a postless deck or the more common velocity deck, whatever you go for make sure you pay close attention to the deck.

I know you said rta but the goon, peerless and medusa rba's are very good. The medusa can hold a lot of juice if thats your concern.

I found these guys to be spot on http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/42-rebuildable-atomizers,
    Also http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/diy/672-ud-ferris-wheel-coil-box.html a single pair of these coils can last a month, they are easy to clean.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads, for anyone having issues with Smok coils, take a pin and place a hole in each opening on the coil where you see the cotton. Then every now and then during the day close off the air flow and take afew long drags without firing your mod. You should find the coils lasting a hell of a lot longer. I am getting on average 4-5 weeks out of my coils and even when I change them there is still pently of life left in them.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Lads, for anyone having issues with Smok coils, take a pin and place a hole in each opening on the coil where you see the cotton. Then every now and then during the day close off the air flow and take afew long drags without firing your mod. You should find the coils lasting a hell of a lot longer. I am getting on average 4-5 weeks out of my coils and even when I change them there is still pently of life left in them.

In fairness I am using clone coils for my baby beast so not expecting much. I usually get about 2000-3000 puffs from official coils and maybe 1000 from clones

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In fairness I am using clone coils for my baby beast so not expecting much. I usually get about 2000-3000 puffs from official coils and maybe 1000 from clones

Thats not much at all, I last changed my coil about 5 weeks ago now and so far have 5622 or 6622 puffs and the coil is still going strong.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Thats not much at all, I last changed my coil about 5 weeks ago now and so far have 5622 or 6622 puffs and the coil is still going strong.

I tend to use sweet juices so that may explain it. Its been same since I got it so don't know any different

• Advertisement

I tend to use sweet juices so that may explain it. Its been same since I got it so don't know any different

I use really sweet ones too, my current is Wick Liquor Boulevard. Try poke a tiny hole and see if they last longer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I ended up going for a single coil OBS Cirus. It's so easy to build on, great taste and vapor isn't bad.

I also picked the RBA deck for the Big Baby Beast and it's surprisingly easy to build on.

I've since ventured into the world of RDA'a and the Vandy Vape Bonsa is absolutely amazing for the price. The build deck is fantastic and taste and vapor is great too. It has a deep well and you can drip into it without taking the topcap off. Along with the Bonsa I've also got a 528 Goon. It's twice the price of the Bonsa but to my mind definitely not twice as good. TBA I'm only using RDA's now. If I was to go back in time I'd go straight to RDA's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Venom wrote: »
    The Zeus is a great tank but can be a pain to coil and wick. I'd suggest the Themis RTA for a beginner which is an upgraded Zeus that much easier to build, take single or dual coils, leak-proof and gives great flavour.

Thanks for the suggestion - my brother ordered one, as he had been asking about a leakproof tank..

He has recently moved to sub-ohm vaping, so I'm assuming he'll need different wire / coils than he was using in previous tanks (he was vaping around 2 ohms?)

Could anyone link to a pack of premade coils that would suit this tank, at about 0.3-0.5 ohm? - would the ones mentioned by Irish Os1r1s above be suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

UsedToWait wrote: »

Could anyone link to a pack of premade coils that would suit this tank, at about 0.3-0.5 ohm? - would the ones mentioned by Irish Os1r1s above be suitable?

Yeah they would be fine but you might be waiting for fasttech, theyre great but they might be on the slow boat from china.

Theres a years supply for 22 bucks at http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/diy/672-ud-ferris-wheel-coil-box.html and it will be delivered in days.

Advertisement