Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth removing my name from a policy?

Options
  • 08-04-2018 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, hoping I could get some quick advice over the following issue:

I am a named driver on a person's policy. I know me being on said policy brought the price down significantly and it made sense at the time me being added.

I am no longer involved with this person so I am wondering is it worth the hassle removing myself from this policy?

All personal feelings aside I'm not asking this to cause grief for anyone, I just dont think I would be comfortable being named on something that might have implications for my own premiums in future, if there is any risk at all. I dont stand to gain anything remaining on the policy, whilst the other party will avail of cheaper insurance if I remain on it.

If its relevant I have my own car and its insured with another company. I suppose I'm just unclear of the risks to my own record being a named driver.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

If your name is on a policy then the policy holder for example must be made aware of any claims or motoring offences, like penalty points, you may gain.

Failure to disclose facts like that could result in a claim being turned down one worse still the policy cancelled.

See it from other side, if you gained a discount for naming a ‘now ex-partner
    - expartner gains 5 penalty points then your insurer will load you policy minimum 25% loading..
    If you were in messy break up and ex ‘stole’ your car then you can’t claim for theft as damage done by ex on badness as a listed driver

Sometimes better to cut all-ties and pay higher premium until new partner comes along

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bbertolucci

Thanks cplwhisper. Exactly the kind of input im looking for.

So in this instance really my ex-partner is the one with more to lose? As it stands they arent on my policy so I dont need to chase for details whereas because I am on theirs they must ensure all information is up to date?

With all that in mind I'd rather not have to update my ex on any changes to my driving record should there be any so do you reckon it would be easy enough to be removed via the insurance company or would they as the policy holder have to enact any and all changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Normally the Cert with your name is to be returned to the insurer.
    If have had ex’s present themselves in the office and demand they be removed from policy as conscientious was not granted to be added or that they wish to be removed incase the insured processes a claim simply to effect their ex...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Perhaps the policyholder has already removed you OP? They may have replaced you with someone else also?

In the absence of contact (and therefore consent) and without knowledge of the policy number I'm not sure an insurer would even discuss the policy with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bbertolucci

All true. I suppose in asking in the first place I wanted to figure out was it worth following up first, and if so could I do it via insurance company or would I have to engage in said conversation with the policy holder.

Overall I'm better clued in now thanks to your help and know how I'll proceed. Thanks for the assistance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement