Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Maths?!???

Options
  • 08-04-2018 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I am going to be choosing my subjects for my leaving cert next week and it got me thinking about maths and the level I might go for.

During the junior cert i did higher level maths until the month before the junior cert and founs it quite difficult to keep up. I was spending all of my time on maths instead of my other subjects so I dropped.

For the leavinf cert, is it a whole new course? Do you start from the very beginning again of a course or do you carry on from the junior cert? I was thinking of trying higher level until Christmas of 5th year but I’m not sure. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lildaisy

Your theorems from the JC will come in handy, graphing and sequences. Stuff like that. There is some new stuff, de moivre and confidence intervals.

I'm doing honours maths in 6th year and I always advise people to try it. If you cannot handle it and it's putting your other subjects at Risk then drop it. But so far for me, it's okay. I've never gotten grinds and I find that the classes can go rather fast. So make sure you don't daydream or get distracted haha. Sometimes it's not even your effort for studying it's just listening listening listening. Well , that's what I've concluded so far.

But yeah, even with all your subjects , try honours for as long as possible and give yourself a good chance, there's times I sat there and thought I should drop out and get into the stock markets but sure we need our lc under our belts I guess. Take my advice and borrow a honours maths book during the summer and look at the bits you can do. Compare with what you know etc. Prepare yourself and maybe talk to your higher and ordinary maths teachers for the sus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The LC course builds on the JC course. The HL course takes for granted that you know the JC HL stuff.
    Always stay at as high a level as you can for as long as you can.

People mature at different rates. Sometimes Maths that you did not 'get' at 15 becomes clearer at 16/17, so stick with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Honestly I would say that if you were struggling with HL maths for JC, I can't see how you will be able to keep up with HL maths for LC.

The OL maths course for LC, largely covers a lot of what is on the HL junior cert course with a few extra things thrown in.

The HL maths course for LC is a completely different ball game. It does require a lot of work.

I'm all for encouraging students to take the highest level possible in a subject, but a dose of reality is needed also. I never see students taking OL for junior cert taking HL maths for leaving cert. What grade did you get in JC Maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ialison

Honestly I would say that if you were struggling with HL maths for JC, I can't see how you will be able to keep up with HL maths for LC.

The OL maths course for LC, largely covers a lot of what is on the HL junior cert course with a few extra things thrown in.

The HL maths course for LC is a completely different ball game. It does require a lot of work.

I'm all for encouraging students to take the highest level possible in a subject, but a dose of reality is needed also. I never see students taking OL for junior cert taking HL maths for leaving cert. What grade did you get in JC Maths?

I was able to do the maths after it was explained to me slowly. My teacher went very fast. I dropled to OL about 2 weeks before the junior cert and got an A. I was put into the higher level class for this year (4th year) and I am not really having any problems

Advertisement