Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Construction: Tops Solid or Laminate?

Options
  • 07-04-2018 10:38pm

I have a 1968 Nippon Gakki Red Label FG 140. The Yamaha web site says Cedar Top.

The cross section I can view through the sound hole would visually indicate that it's not a laminate top.

My question: The top seems to have a hairline join right down the middle that would indicate that it's 2 pieces of wood.

Can a "solid top" be made from 2 composite pieces of wood?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Plenty of solid tops are made of 2 joined/bookmatched pieces.
    Solid refers to the wood being one piece thick, or having only 1 layer from outside to inside. Multiple thin layers on top of each other would be considered laminated.

Thanks Gaspode. I had this idea in my head that solid tops were a single piece of wood.

And as I was readingbyour reply I was looking at the back of another guitar that was made of 2 pieces, that I knew was classified as solid.

Is there any reading on guitar construction that you could recommend? After playing for a good many years, I'm only now opening up my ears to the real craft of the luthier.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sorry, I dont really have anything I can recommend tbh, I just picked stuff like this up over the years. I did watch some videos of guitars being built in the Godin factory and I'd say there's plenty more on youtube of construction that might be of interest.

Many thanks Gaspode. I'll have a look at you tube. There's bound to be something there. Good on ya!

Advertisement