Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher Career Break

Options
  • 07-04-2018 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi. I was wondering if any teachers who have taken a career break before could help me? I am taking a career break next year to travel and work in another country. Did you leave your union? Did you stay registered with the Teaching Council? Did you keep your salary protection? And with regard to voluntary contributions what did you do? Sorry for my ignorance, I am so uneducated when it comes to these things.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Hi. I was wondering if any teachers who have taken a career break before could help me? I am taking a career break next year to travel and work in another country. Did you leave your union? Did you stay registered with the Teaching Council? Did you keep your salary protection? And with regard to voluntary contributions what did you do? Sorry for my ignorance, I am so uneducated when it comes to these things.
    Keep ur tc registered, don't bother with union but write to them telling them yer taking a yr out, if its just a yr don't bother paying pension contribs etc but get urself world class health/travel insurance ESP if its dodgy 3rd wrld country like afrika/M.E

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Paid teaching council so I didn't have to 're register again. Transcripts vetting etc etc

Didn't pay asti.

Don't have salary protection

Voluntary contributions ? Do you mean pay into your pension ? If so, when I rang to ask about it , they quoted me a figure of about 10k for the year so no I didn't do that .

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GemmaLouise

Thanks for your help. I’ll stay registered with the Teaching Council so. It’s not too expensive anyway. If anyone had salary protection, did you continue to pay it during your career break?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Re salary protection, I think it would depend on age and if you have an illness already. If not Nd you're under 35, cancel and rejoin next year.
    TC- pay it. RE registering is a complete pain

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I took a 2 year career break 2002/04. I took out Associate membership of the Union. It was only about 12 euro - no doubt it's more now, but not anything like the full rate. When you return, you may have to pay some month's membership up front before DAS kicks in, so be careful of that. Many people get into arrears unknowingly that way.

I paid one year of pension payments back once I had returned. From the day I enquired about it, I think I had one year to do so. At the time it was about 8k, again, probably more now and it would depend on your salary. I couldn't afford to pay for the second year so I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Is it 8k before or after tax relief?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GemmaLouise

Thanks. That’s really helpful. I didn’t know there was such a thing as associate membership of a union. I will definitely look into that. Yes it seems very expensive to pay pension contributions. It’s probably the sensible thing to do but I don’t think I will.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TheDriver wrote: »
    Is it 8k before or after tax relief?

I'm guessing it was after, but I honestly can't remember. There was an option to have it taken from my pay once I returned, but it would have been rather a large chunk monthly and I still had a few bob left that my granny left me (which was why I was able to take the career break in the first place) so I used that.

Advertisement