Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get power wired from my meter for car charging?

Options
  • 07-04-2018 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Hi, I live in a house in a managed complex. There are apartments too but even though mine is a house with own front door etc...my electricity meter is in an underground car park.

Luckily my designated space is right beside my electricity meter (and others) so it would be only about 2 or 3 feet from where I park my car.

I'm possibly in the market for an electric car but just want to know can power be wired from my meter in the direction of my car? Obviously the house circuit and the meter are connected but can what I am proposing be done?
    I don't have a driveway so the traditional method of installing wall charger or cable from the house is out I'm afraid.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm possibly in the market for an electric car but just want to know can power be wired from my meter in the direction of my car?

Normally chargers would be supplied form the distribution board within your house. However other options may be possible depending on many factors, you need to get an electrician to survey it. It may be best to use the electrician that the management company uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I've a few good mates electricians I'll get them to have a look then contact management company.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I've a few good mates electricians I'll get them to have a look then contact management company.

I think that that your biggest challenge will be the management company, not the technical challenge. This is why politically it would be best to use their electrician.

The problem I potentially see with mgt co is that there are lots of meters on the wall beside my car park space.

There would be very little problem running mine if its technically possible as it's only a few feet and doesn't encroach on anyone else but other spaces can be up to 20 or 30 metres away and would require a bit of work. But I'll explore the possibilities anyway

The problem I potentially see with mgt co is that there are lots of meters on the wall beside my car park space.

I don't follow.
    Why is that a problem?
    There would be very little problem running mine if its technically possible as it's only a few feet and doesn't encroach on anyone else but other spaces can be up to 20 or 30 metres away and would require a bit of work.

I wouldn't be concerned about other people's parking spaces.
    If power has to be run to other car park spaces it dosen't mean that they will have to "encroach" on anyone else.

I have run power supplies for hundreds of meters in basements, it's not really that complicated.
    Obviously longer cable runs will cost more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You will also need to be able to lock up the charge point. I'd be afraid of someone tapping into it.

Also management company might not let you park close enough to the charge point.

I'm not trying to be negative just a few things to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Have a read through this thread. You do need to involve the management company.

Link: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057517181&page=4

As these cars become more popular I expect management companies will devise some method of generating a revenue stream from charging points, if some have not done so already.

Edit: I just spotted , Op has been posting in this thread already but link might be helpful to others.

Cerco wrote: »
    Have a read through this thread. You do need to involve the management company.

There is a legal obligation to get permission from the management company for work carried out in landlord areas such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Which is why I said “You do need to involve the management company”.

A bit early in the morning ��. Or are you re-enforcing my point?

Cerco wrote: »
    Which is why I said “You do need to involve the management company”.

A bit early in the morning ��.

My bad :( sorry. I miss read your post.
    I my prescription glasses are actually on order.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah I get that I have to involve them. I just want to get the work scoped by a friend to see what is possible before telling them what I want to do. They can use their electrician no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

How is maintenance or emergency services supposed to isolate the electricity to the car park if necessary?

Where will the distribution board/consumer unit go (you can't wire directly to the meter).

The management company's issue is not going to be with what you are doing but with the precedent they are setting. There is probably a way to do it for your single parking space. But if EV's catch on, how will they scale this up for more parking spaces?

Advertisement