Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocked Bikes in Madrid vs Dublin

Options
  • 06-04-2018 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Here in Madrid for a few days and have noticed an abundance of top quality motor cycles parked around the place. Latest Harley’s, Ducati’s, BMW’s etc.

They like their bikes but the thing that surprises me is they are all unlocked or should I say not locked to an anchor.

Not a biker myself but just wondering as to the reason for the difference with Ireland, are we a total shower of thieving gypsies or are the penalties for bike theft stiffer in Spain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

AmberGold wrote: »
    Here in Madrid for a few days and have noticed an abundance of top quality motor cycles parked around the place. Latest Harley’s, Ducati’s, BMW’s etc.

They like their bikes but the thing that surprises me is they are all unlocked or should I say not locked to an anchor.

Not a biker myself but just wondering as to the reason for the difference with Ireland, are we a total shower of thieving gypsies or are the penalties for bike theft stiffer in Spain.

That.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Noticed the same in France a few years ago. Myself and a friend where doing the Route Napoleon/Route de Grand Alps and one of the hotels we stayed in had a bike shed. We'd got in fairly early so there were no other bikes locked up and we did our usual locks and daisy chaining the chains, went down the next morning and the shed was full with only the 2 Irish bikes with locks and chains.

At least we aren't as bad as the UK where they are goading owners of stolen bikes and burning them on social media if they don't pay to get them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I for one don't lock my bike to anything while in town.

I don't think we have a high rate of theft in the city during the daytime, it's more a crime of opportunity if it does happen.

All the high-end bikes have immobiliers and alarms, and would not be targeted for the opportunistic thieves.

London/UK is a whole other kettle of fish, you'd want to lock the bike to several immovable objects!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

colm_c wrote: »
    Me neither. It works until it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd a mate rode over from Basel, Switzerland and couldn't believe it that he'd to buy a lock to secure his bike in Dublin.

When he came the lock he had wouldn't have held my dogs back, so for the week he was here we locked it into the Gypsy Rose pub and only pushed it outside during opening hours.

Bicycles are the same over there.

We've a shower of thieving kunts here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

colm_c wrote: »

I wouldn't leave my bike in town for any length of time and expect it to be there when I return, or at least not all of it.

I'm lucky, I've only had one bike stolen (never got it back) and one striped of a lot of parts on two different days.

Almost all my friends are bikers, and a long time at it too and they'll tell you similar stories.

And don't mind high end bikes with immobilizers etc, they end up in a container and on a ship to eastern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The criminal justice system here is the problem, no deterrent to lawbreaking scum. You could get caught robbing a bike red handed and be back on the street within hours to do it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The criminal justice system here is the problem, no deterrent to lawbreaking scum. You could get caught robbing a bike red handed and be back on the street within hours to do it again.

And if anyone hears the Gard saying "oi, you're stealing that bike!", they'd sue and get €20k in compensation for defamation of character.
    The fact they have a boltcutter in one hand and a bike that isn't theirs in the other is neither here nor there.
    And if I said that in the legal forum, someone would angrily defend the rights of the poor diddum because even scumbags have a right to their good name.
    So if a scrote is robbing something, if you touch them, compo for devastating injuries from when you placed your hand on their shoulder, compo for saying" hey, you're stealing my bike!", out again in 5 minutes to steal more bikes and maybe a few months suspended on top of their 100+ convictions.
    These arseholes are treating the world as their plaything, ATM, free candystore and toilet and they have the full protection of the law behind them so no one can say anything or do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

And if anyone hears the Gard saying "oi, you're stealing that bike!", they'd sue and get €20k in compensation for defamation of character.
    The fact they have a boltcutter in one hand and a bike that isn't theirs in the other is neither here nor there.
    And if I said that in the legal forum, someone would angrily defend the rights of the poor diddum because even scumbags have a right to their good name.
    So if a scrote is robbing something, if you touch them, compo for devastating injuries from when you placed your hand on their shoulder, compo for saying" hey, you're stealing my bike!", out again in 5 minutes to steal more bikes and maybe a few months suspended on top of their 100+ convictions.
    These arseholes are treating the world as their plaything, ATM, free candystore and toilet and they have the full protection of the law behind them so no one can say anything or do anything.

It's worse than that. Now if they steal it and injure themselves there are bigger scumbags who will sue you for the injury they got.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057858660/1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Symptoms of multi generational welfare layabouts.

• Advertisement

Its not the scumbags fault, theyre brought up by scumbag parents who teach them to fend for themselves, have no respect for others or the law,sell drugs,cigarettes, rob, mug, anything other than work, go on welfare, get some young one pregnant and live together, but DONT get married ...The government rewards them for all of the aforementioned.....and the gardai dont care because its just a waste of time...which ultimately it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

There's bad elements in every big city. I doubt Madrid would be much different to Dublin. My only experience of being pickpocketed was on a crowded Metro train in Madrid.

shaunr68 wrote: »
    There's bad elements in every big city. I doubt Madrid would be much different to Dublin. My only experience of being pickpocketed was on a crowded Metro train in Madrid.

I got fleeced in Cairo....leather me hole..:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I got fleeced in Cairo....leather me hole..:p

How does one go about doing that exactly? :D

Advertisement