Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poolbeg West SDZ

Options
  • 06-04-2018 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭

Surprised there isn't a thread on this already, if I've missed one, please merge.

So it seems this is actually going ahead with a public hearing next month and the only ifs and buts are about the % of social housing to be included, 10%-35%, either wouldn't bother me tbh.

The project is an SDZ similar to the Docklands SDZ but unlike the docklands, Poolbeg West will be primarily residential with a target population of 8,000 people on a site of only 15 hectars.

Interestingly:

"The receiver is also seeking increases in height, of approximately two storeys across the site, otherwise it said the maximum number of 3,500 apartments could not be achieved."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/glass-bottle-site-receivers-appeal-poolbeg-social-housing-plans-1.3451862

The draft planning scheme is available here:

https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/documents/s9374/Draft%20Poolbeg%20West%20Planning%20Scheme.pdf

I for one welcome this scheme, it's a high density residential community located in the inner suburbs. This is how I would like to see Dublin develop over the next few decades, high density schemes, well integrated into the City and very close to the Centre. I would like to see exactly the same be done at the increasingly derelict Dublin Industrial Estate located right next to Broombrige (an important future transport interchange). Also the mostly derelict 'markets' area between Capel St and Church St could do with a similar scheme. This is how urban sprawl is combated. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cgcsb wrote: »
    the only ifs and buts are about the % of social housing to be included, 10%-35%,
    I agree with such a number - more than that and it just turns it into a ghetto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Victor wrote: »

I fairness huge difference between 10 and 35

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think it is crazy to ask a developer to sell 35% of their development as social housing,they are making it completely unviable for them, I dont think it should ever be over or under 10%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

I have lived beside the area for 15 years and while I think its a great idea there is already a huge problem with traffic on Sean Moore Road for half the day. You would hope they could run the luas over somehow.

As far as the social housing goes a huge amount of the area is already social housing. There's no ghetto. A lot of the locals will want to be housed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The sdz includes provision for an extension of the red luas line to poolbeg. There'll also be a new public transport bridge from the south quays across towards the east link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Victor wrote: »

I'd say 35% would be close to ghetto territory (and would drastically reduce the developer's profit on the remaining 65% as it would lower demand/prices a good bit - hence I'm not sure they'd be happy to go ahead with the project).

I'd say 10% is good figure, no more, no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

cgcsb wrote: »
    The sdz includes provision for an extension of the red luas line to poolbeg. There'll also be a new public transport bridge from the south quays across towards the east link

Great. It will be interesting to see what sort of money they go for. I will be returning from a stint abroad in 5 years or so and something around there would definitely interest me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you build so few social houses that they are only offered to the very ends of the lists you can (with bad planning, bad provision of services, bad policing, etc) get issues

There needs to be sufficient social housing that any household below, or maybe even on, the average industrial can consider it. And if done properly (uncap the differential rent first of all) it shouldn't be a drain on resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rainagain

New hoarding up around the site, and https://glassbottle.ie/ is the website (previous one was https://pembrokedublinfour.com/poolbeg-west-sdz/). Planning permission still not sorted out, DCC had a lot of questions on the application for the first three buildings of phase one.

"The initial phase* will consist of approximately 600 apartment units, a crèche and 400 square metres of retail space. The residential section of this phase will comprise of 10% social housing units, 15% affordable and 75% private units. Phase One is consistent with the Poolbeg West Strategic Development Zone (SDZ).

*Phase One and all subsequent phases are subject to planning approval.

The three individual buildings that make up this initial phase will be situated on the south-west corner of the site, adjacent to Sean Moore Road and Clanna Gael Fontenoy GAA club.

Subsequent phases at Glass Bottle will be subject to separate planning applications and in its entirety will take approximately a decade to complete. Future phases will feature a considered mix of residential, retail, office, enterprise space and community facilities."

I couldn't find a more recent thread on this, hence posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How are they allowing this area to be built on when it's prone to flooding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Cute pic, can't see it happening though the sandymount residents prevent a mere cycle lane being built. What chance does this stand, I can imagine the headlines: ballymun, high rise, character etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Who told you it's prone to flooding? Either way, I'm sure, like most modern coastal developments around the world there'll be flood defences.

Advertisement