Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good cat deterrent

Options
  • 06-04-2018 11:49am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15

My housemate got rabbits in the back garden (in a hutch). Cats keep coming around to have a look and when they are out of the cage we are worried they will go for the kill.

Any suggestions as to what can be done to ward them off?

I have been told an electric fence but its in the city and we don't have the space for one really.

Saw pellets online to deter cats but dont think they would be any good.

What about a pellet gun? Send them a few warning shots without hurting them. Would a pellet do much damage to a cat? I genuinely have no idea. Been hit with them a good bit when I was younger and theres a sting no doubt but it would hardly pierce a cat would it?

JUST TO BE CLEAR I dont want to do any major damage to the cats, just keep them out of the garden.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Yep, try going to the Garda station to apply for a Firearms cert so you can scare the cats! This is really a Nature forum and you have Pet problems.....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15 kiss_my_face

Haha, Im talking about a pellet gun, not a feckin sawn off shotgun. I searched for Cat deterrent and most of the searches went to this forum, I'll try somewhere else I suppose.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,164 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apologies OP I'm afraid I'm going to have to lock this as it's not really the right forum for it. Unfortunately the mention of a pellet gun probably means it isn't a good idea to move it to the Animals and Pet Issues forum either.

Before I lock the thread I will say you're only really viable option is to "cat proof" your back garden with something like the below:

cat-proof-fencing-sideview275x366.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement