Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a 360 - Game Recommendations?

Options
  • 06-04-2018 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Late to the party I know but sure better late than never. I have a PS3/PS4 so said I'd get a 360 and play the games which aren't on both platforms. I have the following planned:

Gears of War series
    Halo 3 upwards
    Forza series

Any other games you could recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Crackdown, great game on the 360. The sequel was pretty poor so avoid that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Fallout 3

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not sure if you're bothered with JRPGs, but Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are both well worth a look and both on sale in the Xbox Digital store at the moment. Less that €15 for the two I believe.

Fable Anniversary Edition and Fable II are both great and Viva Pinata is the cartoon gardening game you never knew you wanted and is as good as anything Rare have done. Plus there's Fudgehog, who is empirically the best Pinata.

Alan Wake is a great horror-adventure and the DLC American Night is great, Amped 3 is still the best snowboarding game released, Geometry Wars 2 is a peerless arcade high score-shooter, Bangai-O HD is the best way to play one of Treasure's best games as is Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga.

Not sure how Condemned 1 and 2 hold up but at the time they were brilliantly atmospheric horror shooters.

The Witcher 2, if you haven't played it on PC, is great too and a really good set-up for 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Fable 2, Crackdown, Alan Wake, Condemned, Viva Piñata, 'Splosion Man, Shadow Complex, Dust: An Elysian Tail (both on PS4), ilomilo, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Comic Jumper, Trials HD, N+, Carcassonne, Undertow

A few are on PC too, but not PS3/4.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West seems fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Game Pass has all the Fable and Gears games included plus a good few more too, it's not as good value if you're only using it for 360 but it might be worth getting a 3 month sub for €21 if you want to play those games.

EDIT: It seems that you can't use Game Pass on the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

State of Decay.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

dor83 wrote:
    Game Pass has all the Fable and Gears games included plus a good few more too, it's not as good value if you're only using it for 360 but it might be worth getting a 3 month sub for €21 if you want to play those games.

As far as I am aware, you can't use a gamepass sub on a 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Bit of an odd one but I'd recommend grabbing a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic to play via back compat. Graphics are dated now, obviously but it's still one of my favourite ever Xbox games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Donutz wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, you can't use a gamepass sub on a 360.
    I didn't realise that, I haven't used a 360 since Game Pass launched and assumed it did because it would make sense for it to be available on it considering it has 360 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks for all the recommendations folks.

I bought Halo 3 shortly after buying the machine. Setup the account and bought Gears of War online. Mentioned to one of the lads in the office that I bought the 360 and he came in the next day with 7 games including GTA 4/5, both of which I've played on the PS3/PC but will play through again and Assassins Creed Black Flag.

Crackdown looks great so I'll make sure to pick that up. Will also look at all the other recommendations too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Bit of an odd one but I'd recommend grabbing a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic to play via back compat. Graphics are dated now, obviously but it's still one of my favourite ever Xbox games.

Of all the Xbox exclusives over the years this must rate as my favourite game. I booted it up on the Xbox One X recently and am tempted to play through again but don't think I'd have the time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have a pretty sizeable achievement score, so just running through a small subset of the ones that I enjoyed the most at the time.. (even if they weren't all critical darlings):

So apart from all of the gears, all of the COD and all of the Fable / Forza and all of the Halo (especially Reach).....

Stranglehold (One of those games you would not want to pay 60 euro for but great for a euro or two)
    Rainbow 6 Vegas - spent a lot of time on this. Shooting with brains (relatively speaking)
    Bioshock 1, 2 and 3 (essential, all of them, consider 2 as just an expansion for 1).
    PGR4 - if you like your driving arcade
    The Orange Box - if you are one of the 3 people who hasn't played portal or HL2
    Kane and Lynch (God help me I must be the only person on earth who thought these were a fun few hours if they can be gotten for a few cent).
    Stuntman Ignition
    Force Unleashed 1 and 2 (only if you are a Star Wars fan)
    The Bourne Conspiracy (Seriously.. this was a surprisingly fun game)
    Mass Effect 1,2,3 - Essential, naff Mako and planet exploration aside.
    Alone in the Dark (not without its flaws, but I liked it all the same).
    Borderlands (fun in Single.. amazing in co-op)
    Wanted: Weapons of Fate (again.. relatively unknown but great fun for a few cent)
    Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 (CO-OP)
    Enslaved - unique.. good to look at, good story, good to play. Unfair that it is not better known. One of the best on the system.
    Vanquish - Amazing feel to this 3rd person shooter.
    Assassins Creed (especially 2... honourable mention to brotherhood and also Black Flag).
    Tomb Raider (2013 one) - Uncharted in tighter hotpants.
    Homefront (fun if you like FPS and can get it for 2 euro or less)
    Metro 2033 and Last Light (Brilliant.. something old school and fresh at the same time, feels like a PC FPS from 2004... but a great sense of place and journey to it.. plays great)
    Split Second - Brilliant arcade racing fun with slightly destructible tracks.
    GTA 4 and 5 obviously.
    James Bond 007: Bloodstone.. similar to the Bourne game above.. Fun, cheap, high production values.
    Max Payne 3 - great storyline and some of the best visuals on the console. Plays like a Max Payne game should.. full of style... Stranglehold was the closest imitator for most of the 360 run... they left it late to come out with this. Worth it.
    Transformers War for Cybertron (avoid the Movie tie in.. this one was great tho and its sequels and they pushed the 360 graphically)
    Crysis 2 and 3 for FPS fans and graphics fans.
    Batman Arkham Asylum and City (didn't like the 3rd one as much, was surprised at just how much the first one lived up to the hype)
    Splinter Cell Conviction.. easier, more fun. Despite the hate it got.
    Bulletstorm.. No pretension, just playability and pretty graphics. A real surprise I felt.
    Burnout Paradise - Arcade racing at its finest
    Sleeping Dogs (loved this... GTA clone, with its own identity.... huge surprise of a game)
    Alan Wake - unique.. nothing else like it. Stylish and a great experience.
    Red Dead Redemption - Brilliant.. but a slower burner than you might think.
    Number 2 in the Call of Juarez series (bound in blood ??) - Was not expecting to like this anywhere near as much as I did....
    Singularity was great.. that was a surprisingly good FPS.. a touch of Bioshock got impregnated by Wolfenstein.. how was this not better known ?
    Spec Ops the line.. not as deep and meaningful to my eyes as it is fashionable to say, but a fine game all the same.
    Bayonetta.. not a fan of Jap Madness, turned it off a couple of times after 2 minutes... then one day, I just played to the end and loved it.
    Dead Space 1,2,3 (some don't like 3, it is marginally the weakest, but still great)
    Portal 2 - You must have heard of this one... as good as the hype..
    Far Cry 3 - Typical Ubisoft sandbox.... More fun to play than number 2.
    Hitman Absolution... the most accessible in the series, great looking, great playing.
    Rayman Legends.. wore my finger tips off on this one despite not being into platformers these days. Very addictive.
    LA Noire... looks so good you won't believe its not xbox one... gets repetitive if you go achievement hunting, but stick to the main story and few games have a better sense of a place and time, I loved it.
    Driver San Francisco... addictive once you get past the first hour. Wanted to hate this with its weird jumping around mechanic.. until I realised that it turned it into part arcade racer, part puzzle game.. how did this work so well !?
    Battlefield 3 - Call of Duty but with prettier graphics at the time. Fun for a few euro.
    The Witcher 2 (amazing technical achievement on the 360).

And don't hate me.. but quite possibly one of the worst looking, worst controlling, most bizarre games on the platform... Deadly Premonition.. .I couldn't get enough of it. The Twin Peaks comparisons are spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I have a pretty sizeable achievement score, so just running through a small subset of the ones that I enjoyed the most at the time.. (even if they weren't all critical darlings):

So apart from all of the gears, all of the COD and all of the Fable / Forza and all of the Halo (especially Reach).....

Stranglehold (One of those games you would not want to pay 60 euro for but great for a euro or two)
    Rainbow 6 Vegas - spent a lot of time on this. Shooting with brains (relatively speaking)
    Bioshock 1, 2 and 3 (essential, all of them, consider 2 as just an expansion for 1).
    PGR4 - if you like your driving arcade
    The Orange Box - if you are one of the 3 people who hasn't played portal or HL2
    Kane and Lynch (God help me I must be the only person on earth who thought these were a fun few hours if they can be gotten for a few cent).
    Stuntman Ignition
    Force Unleashed 1 and 2 (only if you are a Star Wars fan)
    The Bourne Conspiracy (Seriously.. this was a surprisingly fun game)
    Mass Effect 1,2,3 - Essential, naff Mako and planet exploration aside.
    Alone in the Dark (not without its flaws, but I liked it all the same).
    Borderlands (fun in Single.. amazing in co-op)
    Wanted: Weapons of Fate (again.. relatively unknown but great fun for a few cent)
    Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 (CO-OP)
    Enslaved - unique.. good to look at, good story, good to play. Unfair that it is not better known. One of the best on the system.
    Vanquish - Amazing feel to this 3rd person shooter.
    Assassins Creed (especially 2... honourable mention to brotherhood and also Black Flag).
    Tomb Raider (2013 one) - Uncharted in tighter hotpants.
    Homefront (fun if you like FPS and can get it for 2 euro or less)
    Metro 2033 and Last Light (Brilliant.. something old school and fresh at the same time, feels like a PC FPS from 2004... but a great sense of place and journey to it.. plays great)
    Split Second - Brilliant arcade racing fun with slightly destructible tracks.
    GTA 4 and 5 obviously.
    James Bond 007: Bloodstone.. similar to the Bourne game above.. Fun, cheap, high production values.
    Max Payne 3 - great storyline and some of the best visuals on the console. Plays like a Max Payne game should.. full of style... Stranglehold was the closest imitator for most of the 360 run... they left it late to come out with this. Worth it.
    Transformers War for Cybertron (avoid the Movie tie in.. this one was great tho and its sequels and they pushed the 360 graphically)
    Crysis 2 and 3 for FPS fans and graphics fans.
    Batman Arkham Asylum and City (didn't like the 3rd one as much, was surprised at just how much the first one lived up to the hype)
    Splinter Cell Conviction.. easier, more fun. Despite the hate it got.
    Bulletstorm.. No pretension, just playability and pretty graphics. A real surprise I felt.
    Burnout Paradise - Arcade racing at its finest
    Sleeping Dogs (loved this... GTA clone, with its own identity.... huge surprise of a game)
    Alan Wake - unique.. nothing else like it. Stylish and a great experience.
    Red Dead Redemption - Brilliant.. but a slower burner than you might think.
    Number 2 in the Call of Juarez series (bound in blood ??) - Was not expecting to like this anywhere near as much as I did....
    Singularity was great.. that was a surprisingly good FPS.. a touch of Bioshock got impregnated by Wolfenstein.. how was this not better known ?
    Spec Ops the line.. not as deep and meaningful to my eyes as it is fashionable to say, but a fine game all the same.
    Bayonetta.. not a fan of Jap Madness, turned it off a couple of times after 2 minutes... then one day, I just played to the end and loved it.
    Dead Space 1,2,3 (some don't like 3, it is marginally the weakest, but still great)
    Portal 2 - You must have heard of this one... as good as the hype..
    Far Cry 3 - Typical Ubisoft sandbox.... More fun to play than number 2.
    Hitman Absolution... the most accessible in the series, great looking, great playing.
    Rayman Legends.. wore my finger tips off on this one despite not being into platformers these days. Very addictive.
    LA Noire... looks so good you won't believe its not xbox one... gets repetitive if you go achievement hunting, but stick to the main story and few games have a better sense of a place and time, I loved it.
    Driver San Francisco... addictive once you get past the first hour. Wanted to hate this with its weird jumping around mechanic.. until I realised that it turned it into part arcade racer, part puzzle game.. how did this work so well !?
    Battlefield 3 - Call of Duty but with prettier graphics at the time. Fun for a few euro.
    The Witcher 2 (amazing technical achievement on the 360).

And don't hate me.. but quite possibly one of the worst looking, worst controlling, most bizarre games on the platform... Deadly Premonition.. .I couldn't get enough of it. The Twin Peaks comparisons are spot on.

Well that's a pretty comprehensive list, I certainly appreciate the effort you've put into it. Quite a lot of the games there I've either played on the PC via Steam or on the PS3 at some point but everything else I'll make a point of looking into them and deciding if they're my cup of tea.

Advertisement