Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting help with council housing from councillors

Options
  • 06-04-2018 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Just wondering if anyone might have any idea about whether approaching local councillors, TDs etc for help when applying for council housing actually works? I'm on Disability Allowance and I've been on the housing list in Cork city for 7 years as a single person. I apply for housing on the CBL website every week. Is there anything i can do to help my case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not really in the current climate ,
    Unfortunately it's a case of having to wait 7 years isn't too bad being honest ,
    Have you an actual disability or just receiving DA

• Registered Users Posts: 21 faber11

I have a disability...that's why i'm receiving DA?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

faber11 wrote: »
    I have a disability...that's why i'm receiving DA?

Is your current accommodation exacerbating your Disabilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Gatling wrote: »
    Have you an actual disability or just receiving DA

Thats not very helpful (or nice).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EmmaBX

faber11 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone might have any idea about whether approaching local councillors, TDs etc for help when applying for council housing actually works? I'm on Disability Allowance and I've been on the housing list in Cork city for 7 years as a single person. I apply for housing on the CBL website every week. Is there anything i can do to help my case?

Definitely worth giving it a shot. 7 years is a long time to wait. In my experience the council tend to perk up their ears when a representative for them speaks on your behalf. If the council cannot provide single person accommodation you should look into the RSA scheme.

Keep at them until they listen. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

EmmaBX wrote: »
    7 years is a long time to wait. In my experience the council tend to perk up their ears when a representative for them speaks on your behalf.

The average wait across the country is between 10-12 years ,
    7 years is not as bad as families waiting 11+ years

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EmmaBX

Gatling wrote: »
    The average wait across the country is between 10-12 years ,
    7 years is not as bad as families waiting 11+ years

Dont know what part of the country your from but here in wicklow I only had to wait 6 years for single person accommodation and I have no kids nor a disability. A friend of mine with 2 children only waited 8 years. Each county and person is different.

I assume your also awaiting accommodation?

Advertisement