Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring for “optional” light fitting

Options
  • 05-04-2018 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

I’m getting my house renovated at the moment and have the ceilings off ready for wiring of lights by the electrician. We like the idea of a low pendant light over the kitchen table, which in our new layout could conceivably go on either side of the room. Would it be possible to get the electrician to chase wires up for 2 pendant fittings for the table on either side of the room but have the wires for one fitting hidden from view in the ceiling when the table is on the other side of the room? What would be the best way to do it?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

sapper wrote: »
    I’m getting my house renovated at the moment and have the ceilings off ready for wiring of lights by the electrician. We like the idea of a low pendant light over the kitchen table, which in our new layout could conceivably go on either side of the room. Would it be possible to get the electrician to chase wires up for 2 pendant fittings for the table on either side of the room but have the wires for one fitting hidden from view in the ceiling when the table is on the other side of the room? What would be the best way to do it?

What type of ceiling do you have that it requires chasing??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

aido79 wrote: »
    What type of ceiling do you have that it requires chasing??

I think the OP just used the wrong terminology.

@sapper: Yes, it would be possible to wire for both options and simply leave the redundant cabling option unconnected. It would just take a little planning, nothing too complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also take photo's and measurements so you can find the cable again if you are putting in the light.

Advertisement