Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopted puppy allegedly died from Parvo

Options
  • 05-04-2018 7:36pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭


    Awful title I know but hoping some a&p boardsies can help to settle my mind about this.

    One of my in-laws neighbour alleges her previously adopted puppy died from Parvo, diagnosis confirmed by the Vet; She said adopted him from a well known Dublin rescue centre.

    Now, I’m no expert in rescue nor do I work or am affiliated with one, but I’m feeling very skeptical about this.

    Would a very well equipped & well known rescue really be so irresponsible as to allow a puppy under 3mos to be adopted without clearance of Parvo?


Comments

  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno


    Was the puppy vaccinated?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat


    Stheno wrote: »
    Was the puppy vaccinated?

    As it is a policy of the rescue I would imagine it was, also the paperwork indicated it was. I don’t know how long the puppy was in the rescue’s care, but I do know they also check for Parvo, it’s a simple spot test.


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7


    Need to get exact dates and what the incubation period is . Been there with this kind of thing and accusations fly about when distrssed

    I took in a trio of kittens from the filthiest rescue centre ever; there were dead kittens etc and I could not leave them there

    Within the correct infection date,they developed feline enteritis. I lost one to a heart defect but still have the other two 13 years on.. 24/7 nursing,

    The rescue woman swore blind there was no sickness in her place, that the kittens must have got infected in my home. But the dates were straightforward.

    Just so much emotion flying around when young critters die. So many see a need to blame

    Get the dates? ty


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws


    Unless a pup was showing signs of illness, I wouldn't expect them to test each dog for parvo. They would be vaccinated, and I would hope that the vet would take temperature etc before vaccinating, if all is normal and vaccine is given, then I would assume they would think that the dog was healthy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat


    muddypaws wrote: »
    Unless a pup was showing signs of illness, I wouldn't expect them to test each dog for parvo. They would be vaccinated, and I would hope that the vet would take temperature etc before vaccinating, if all is normal and vaccine is given, then I would assume they would think that the dog was healthy.

    What your saying makes sense, I suppose given what I know of Parvo, also that the pupp came from one of the puppy farm litters intercepted; I found it odd that the pupp looked ill when she brought him home, we did tell her to take him to the vet immediately, she didn’t & he died within 48 hours.

    I thought, er hoped, that the main 2 rescues where better at keeping things like this from happening, maybe not though, given the shear amount of rescues being processed.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7


    em_cat wrote: »
    What your saying makes sense, I suppose given what I know of Parvo, also that the pupp came from one of the puppy farm litters intercepted; I found it odd that the pupp looked ill when she brought him home, we did tell her to take him to the vet immediately, she didn’t & he died within 48 hours.

    I thought, er hoped, that the main 2 rescues where better at keeping things like this from happening, maybe not though, given the shear amount of rescues being processed.

    It is worrying and very distressing.

    Has she or anyone informed the rescue of what has happened? In my case with the cats i told the vets and some other rescue placed and the owner had a terrible reputation for no quarantine and filthy conditions etc,

    It was actually the regional SPCA place so I called them and helped get her a grant for new buildings.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat


    Graces7 wrote: »
    It is worrying and very distressing.

    Has she or anyone informed the rescue of what has happened?.

    I asked if she had, but I don’t think she bothered, I rang the vet though and he did get in touch with the rescue.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws


    em_cat wrote: »
    What your saying makes sense, I suppose given what I know of Parvo, also that the pupp came from one of the puppy farm litters intercepted; I found it odd that the pupp looked ill when she brought him home, we did tell her to take him to the vet immediately, she didn’t & he died within 48 hours.

    I thought, er hoped, that the main 2 rescues where better at keeping things like this from happening, maybe not though, given the shear amount of rescues being processed.

    That's very worrying that the pup looked ill upon adoption, I would hope that rescues wouldn't let a sick dog leave their premises. Unfortunately it does sound as though the pup already had parvo when she brought it home if the poor thing died so quickly. Odd that she didn't let the rescue know though, although people are odd!


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama


    Some strains of parvo can cause disease in vaccinated dogs


Advertisement