Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built-in floor-to-ceiling bookshelves

Options
  • 05-04-2018 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I have somebody coming next week to put in floor-to-ceiling bookshelves covering two of the four walls, and two study desks in a room at home. He's using a light oak-coloured MDF, so while it's not dark it's not white either.

I'm still uncertain about a single aspect: should I leave the freshly painted wall at the back, or cover that wall with the bookcase? I don't want the place to be too dark so was opting for having the painted wall behind it just for brightness but I'm now wondering are there any advantages in his encasing the shelves to cover the back wall also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If the shelves are Mdf, the material used behind them is probably supporting them, and is part of the structure. It could be an option to paint the material used at the back of the shelves the color you want, it is easier to do this before it is fitted to the unit , talk to whoever is making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

If the shelves are Mdf, the material used behind them is probably supporting them, and is part of the structure. It could be an option to paint the material used at the back of the shelves the color you want, it is easier to do this before it is fitted to the unit , talk to whoever is making them.

Had never thought of that. Thanks very much for the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Books shelves are now in but I've two specific questions that somebody might be able to answer:

1. Gap between shelves and ceiling. Examples: Gap 1; Gap 2; Gap 3. Is this to be expected in these sort of floor-to-ceiling shelves, or should the gap at the top be encased/closed in? The fitter said he could close it in but said the difference in the gap between the front and back of the room might be more visible if it is closed (the ceiling is a bit higher in the front than in the back). If I should close it in, what sort of material or design would be best for the job?

2. Weight on shelves. I had been told that making the shelves out of chipboard would be appropriate for the job. I put the books on yesterday and noticed this morning that there was sagging on the shelves with books. Compare: Before books and After books. I wasn't expecting this at all. Is there anything I can ask them to do to reduce this problem? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Could you put a shallow pelmet / cornice on the top which would come down slightly below the top of the units, this would lose the difference in the gap height.
    The shelves should not sag like that, they either need to be fixed to the backing material or have a price of solid timber added at the front , they will sag a lot more over time.

Advertisement