Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I had a claim which I settled privately (E850)

Options
  • 05-04-2018 10:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭

Do I have to declare this to future companies when getting a quote? I have a letter from Liberty saying that the claim was settled privately and that there is no effect on my policy. Do I still have to inform my next company at nrenewal time of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You didn't claim so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

You didn't claim so no.

Disagree.

Look at this parallel thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057857432

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »

Well I've only ever been asked have I any outstanding claims in previous 5 years.

One though from 8 years ago always is added on my no claims form I didn't claim off my own.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Question is normally along the lines of "have you had any claims, accidents or convictions in the last 5 years".

If that's the case it needs to be disclosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FranklinMint

Question is normally along the lines of "have you had any claims, accidents or convictions in the last 5 years".

If that's the case it needs to be disclosed.

How much does an accident with no claim involved affect the premium normally.

You still have the no claims bonus but will they jack up the premium?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How much does an accident with no claim involved affect the premium normally.

You still have the no claims bonus but will they jack up the premium?

Only an insurer could answer that. Might be no increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

How would they know, if neither party contacted insurance company and it was settle in cash ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I've just been through this. My "Statement of fact" says;
    In the last 5 years, you or any persons driving the car have not
    Been involved in any accidents or claims or have any pending claims irrespective of blame.

So I notified them about an accident in another car, on another policy, and there was no increase on my renewal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭FranklinMint

I've just been through this. My "Statement of fact" says;

So I notified them about an accident in another car, on another policy, and there was no increase on my renewal.

Was there a claim opened or settled?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Was there a claim opened or settled?

Yes, both. I claimed against TP, but this didn't seem too important as it wasn't huge amount. IMHO it's better to let them know regardless because if you ever need to make a claim every detail is scrutinised, but in your case there is no paper trail so not much anyone can do. Up to you.

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    How would they know, if neither party contacted insurance company and it was settle in cash ?

There's an obligation to report accidents regardless of who was liable.

Failure to do so could jeopardise the policy as it'd be non disclosure.

Advertisement