Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Geal blocked a lot of development in the west with this move

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

RHJ wrote: »
    In fairness, and I'm not defending Leo I understand the decision to block the Western rail corridor and any expansion of Galway and Sligo airports.

Wasn't it recently revealed by the statistics by the CSO that Mayo's population is falling? and in general the population of rural Ireland is also falling as more people migrate to cities, so what good would the Western rail corridor do in the long run if there wasn't the population there to support it.

And again, I understand about the airports take Galway for example, I've just checked and its roughly 50 minutes by car from Shannon airport so it doesn't make any sense to pour money into upgrading and building new infrastructure when you already have fully functioning up-to-date airport less than an hour away.

Sligo airport is a prisoner of its geography in that it's located on a peninsula and has a relatively short runway and it doesn't look like it has much or any room to expand the length unless you were to build more land out in the sea for the runway. Also, there's a mountain on one side, which again limits the airports growth, and thirdly, one of the approaches goes directly over Sligo town. I can imagine that some residents would be annoyed by the sight and sound of low-flying jets coming into land.

That's why both Nock and Shannon airports have an advantage is due to their relatively remote locations. They have the ability to expand and the noise from aircraft won't disturb too many people.

It is lack of options and oppurtunities that draw people into cities. Quashing such rural infastructire projects while further investing in and growing urban infastructure further increases the gap between what entices people into the cities and what makes living in rural ireland.
    Rail links are essential to a modern green society. While Leo and co drive home expansion of inner city hospitals our rural options are being phased down. Essentially Fine Geal is a Urban focused party. I would surly vote for FG if i lived in our cities, they have built cities of the back of decreased rural infasturctial investment for the last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

To be honest if you are building a motorway between Limerick and Sligo, which I believe is the overall plan, then there really is no value in having a rail service running parallel to it, as currently happens around Crusheen.

As for the airports, if you have to large arports along said motorway that will be about an hour apart what is the value of having two more.

A motorway running from Sligo to Cork will allow for resedential and commercial development along that axis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭irishgeo

To be honest if you are building a motorway between Limerick and Sligo, which I believe is the overall plan, then there really is no value in having a rail service running parallel to it, as currently happens around Crusheen.

As for the airports, if you have to large arports along said motorway that will be about an hour apart what is the value of having two more.

A motorway running from Sligo to Cork will allow for resedential and commercial development along that axis.

its not going to be a motorway after tuam. Dual carrigeway with no hard shoulder.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

irishgeo wrote: »
    its not going to be a motorway after tuam. Dual carrigeway with no hard shoulder.

If it has an overtaking lane it's good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Keep Knock Airport rolling and tie Mayo into the Motorway in Tuam.......thats what people want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

RTE didnt report this at all. It was the most read Irish Times story on its publication. Take what you will from that.

Advertisement