Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloads on netflix

Options
  • 04-04-2018 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

Hey

Does anyone know if downloaded material to your device is still available if your Netflix account has been cancelled?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd be surprised if they did, other than if you offlined your device before cancelling the account. I read a blog post on how they authenticated licencing rights before and it's fairly sophisticated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Anyone know where downloads are stored on a kindle fire. It has an sd card in it but I can't find old downloads. I have renewed the netflix account and downloaded new stuff but can't see it on the sd card. Does it create a folder called 'netflix'?

I just want to know that it will work when out of wifi and whether downloaded stuff will expire?

Anyone know where downloads are stored on a kindle fire. It has an sd card in it but I can't find old downloads. I have renewed the netflix account and downloaded new stuff but can't see it on the sd card. Does it create a folder called 'netflix'?
    You can choose in the App Settings where it's stored (sdcard or internally). On my phone - Android - it's stored internally at:
    /sdcard/Android/data/com.nextflix.mediaclient/files/Download/.of . There's sub-folders there for each show. I had a quick nose at them and I found the subtitles there in a plain text file
    I just want to know that it will work when out of wifi and whether downloaded stuff will expire?
    It varies depending on the show (the licencing model is complex) but you'll definitely be able to watch it out of any Internet range. I did so frequently when on holidays without connecting to Netflix for a day or so.

I think some shows expired after a couple of weeks. Netflix originals should be fine and you should be able to stay disconnected for a long period. Other shows only let you download once a year and, if you've a standard account, you can only download shows to any one device at a particular time although I never reached a limit on the number of shows you can have downloaded simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Cheers for that. I just looked into that folder but there are no downloads there, even though I have downloaded stuff.
    Could it be elsewhere?

Cheers for that. I just looked into that folder but there are no downloads there, even though I have downloaded stuff.
    Could it be elsewhere?
    Likely! I think it's a bit randomised. I would expect it to be somewhere under /sdcard/Android/data/com.nextflix.mediaclient/files/download but really that was me just checking it out for a few minutes and taking educated guesses. I had thought it would be trickier to find so perhaps it varies.
    I do know that you can't transfer that content between devices - so you couldn't copy between say two phones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement