Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enabling emoji keyboard in Windows 10 EN_IE locale

• 04-04-2018 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

So, I was searching for an emoji keyboard for Windows 10 recently and noticed that an emoji keyboard was automatically made available in the 'Fall Creators Build' but only for EN_US locale. This pissed me off - I assume it's to do with translations.

Anyway, the keyboard works fine when you change locale on the fly so the functionality is there so I went on the hunt to find how to enable to the shortcut key for EN_IE locale.

Turns out the emoji keyboard can be disabled by modifying some keys in
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Input\Settings\proc_1\loc_0409\im_1

loc_0409 looks very like a locale identifier 😊 (Win 10 emoji right there)

Find the locale you want the emoji keyboard enabled for in this list;
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/default-input-locales-for-windows-language-packs

In our case (English - Ireland), we need 1809.
    Add the following dword entries with value 1 to
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Input\Settings\proc_1\loc_1809\im_1

EnableExpressiveInputEmojiInputHistory
    EnableExpressiveInputShellHotkey
    EnableExpressiveInputSystemInitiated
    EnableExpressiveInputUserInitiated

n6etggP.png

That's it. No restart or anything else required.
    I assume this will work for other locales but I haven't tested.
    Here's a usage guide for the emoji keyboard.
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3223429/windows/windows-10-how-to-type-emoji-on-your-pc.html

I didn't see this info online anywhere so thought I would share. I suspect you only need the regkey 'EnableExpressiveInputShellHotkey' to enable but I haven't tested.

Advertisement